• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

PATs Issue

Rangstang

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If it ain't broke, I can't fix it.
I think I really messed up. I've got a 2000 Ranger that I did a 5.0L swap on recently. I've been trying to troubleshoot a miss for 4 weeks now. In my frustration, I finally decided to try another PCM. Initially I tried to start it and it would only turn over, but it wouldn't start (injectors not firing).

I've got an SBB V33.02 Key Programmer, so I attempted to add the key to the system so that I could try out the other PCM. The programmer would not successfully add the key, so I decided to erase all keys and add it. Done this on Civics many times with no issues... but this is a Ford. Anyway, it wouldn't add the new key once erased. Wasn't too worried because I figured I'd throw in the original 5.0L PCM and all would be well. Needless to say, I put the original PCM back in and it won't even turn the starter over. I then attempted to add the key to the original 5.0 PCM and it won't take either, so now I've got a paperweight.

My original 5.0 PCM I had reflashed years ago to remove a number of things, one of them the PATs data. The key I was using on the vehicle was the orignal V6 key, so obviously the transceiver module was good with it and it sent a signal to the PCM that all was well, but the PCM didn't require an ID from the key.

Now it appears that the transceiver module has been erased and so it won't send the signal to the PCM, hence the vehicle not turning over.

Anyone have a solution to fix this or do I need to get a matched transceiver and key(s)?

Rangstang

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Figured out a workaround. Since my original 5.0 PCM PATs code was erased, I inserted my Ranger key and turned to RUN position to supply power to PCM, PATs module, starter relay, etc. I then hooked up a remote starter switch to the solenoid on the starter and turned it over. Viola, it started. I looked at the schematic for the PATs on the Ranger and see that the starter relay receives a GND from the PATs module when it sees the correct RFID and trucks without PATs just use a GND on the relay. Thus, I will just provide a GND to the starter relay to allow truck to start.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The transceiver is just an antenna, no electronics, it can be unhooked but can't be "cleared or erased".

PATS came in several versions, earlier versions had a separate PATS module that was connected to the transceiver and the PCM, the PATS module was "married" to the PCM at the factory when it was programmed with the keys.
The PATS module stores the Key IDs and runs the "test" to see if inserted key is on the list, it then sends an encrypted code to PCM that allows fuel system to start up, the code number changes each time, they use an RSA algorithm type system so knowing the number sent to PCM doesn't help you start it the next time, it changes each time the key is turn off and then on again.
Once engine is running there is no more PATS testing, i.e. PATS can't cause an engine to stall, unless all power is cut and PATS restarts and key doesn't pass the test

Only a Ford Dealer with active subscription to Fords database can "remarry" PATS module and PCM, if either one needs to be swapped.
They can be swapped as a set from a used vehicle, transceiver doesn't need to be swapped, it is just an antenna.

Later versions moved the PATS software into the PCM, so no PATS module was needed
Transceiver connected directly to the PCM.

You can't mix and match these systems, the two piece and one piece.

Good read here on programming the different PATS: http://www.bsecorp.com/files/techtips/FORD PATS.pdf

Starter motor interrupt was added to PATS in late 1990's/early 2000's so not all have it, the starter relay is there but not just on PATS systems.
Primarily the PATS will keep fuel pump from running and Fuel injectors from working, both of these are controlled by Grounding, same as Starter relay in engine fuse box.
Fuel pump power would be easy to by-pass, fuel injectors would not, lol.

Last edited:

Rangstang

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Thanks for putting in your $.02 Ron. I think the confusion started when I called the PATS module a tranceiver module.

The fact is that my truck was starting and running great until I cleared all keys with an alternate PCM hooked up. I could not get it to accept any new keys and it wouldn't turn over. When I swapped back to the "original" V8 PCM that I've been using, the starter would not turn over either, so unless the PATS module just decided to die right then and there or the transceiver crapped out while I was clearing the keys, it was somehow erased. I went ahead and removed the BLU/ORG stripe wire from pin 1 of the PATS module, soldered a ring on it and grounded it to the chassis and the trucks turning over and starting again.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals