• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Looking to buy 85 Bronco II 4WD 2.8L

GoletaKid

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
HELP!

Hello, I'm a new member here looking for your words of wisdom about my potential purchase of a 1985 Bronco II. 4WD. 2.8L AOD

The seller is asking $3,500.00

The Bronco is an original CA car and completely original. I test drove it today. Ran very well. Has AOD trans. Owner has done a lot of maintenance. Belts, hoses, lifters, freeze plugs, water pump and radiator. Every thing electrical works right down to the cruise control. Although, why would someone replace the lifters and freeze plugs? Maybe it sat for a long time?

It did just pass smog check.

First question is: What should I keep in mind or look for before I purchase? Should I walk away? Looks too good to be true?

Second question: I have an old pop-up camper trailer. Installing a trans cooler probably a good idea? Should I tow my pop-up with the Bronco II at all?

Photos are to show condition to gauge worth.

Last edited:

bronco2fan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3 inch body lift
Tire Size
That's a good looking BII, nice find. I'd be looking for any body work, rust, newer looking paint. Check under for rust, door jambs, bottom of doors, drip rails, in the cowl. Look at the coolant, no oil in it, or rusty color. Test drive for sure, check 4x4. Only slowly if you can't take it off pavement. Drive it in figure 8 and listen for abnormal noise. Grinding or hard to turn.

Should tow fine if it's set up for it. If not it'll need a transmission cooler for heavy loads.

Others will chime in if I've missed anything. Good luck and welcome to TRS.

Sent from my Alcatel9007T using Tapatalk

Tedybear

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994, 2001
Make / Model
1994 Ford Bronc
Engine Size
5.8v8
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Failing is easy. Everyone can do it.
Grab the drivers side door while open (Duh...You'd be surprised what people try to do when I suggest this).. Lift or pull up on the door at the edge where the door latch is. See how much play there is. If memory serves that's only an odometer that reads into the ten thousands range. If the door moves up/down like on a pivot a lot? Then the truck likely has a 1 in front of the odometer number. The drivers door gets the most heavy use, and that's one key way to measure it's wear and tear.

If all looks good, I'd say the freeze plugs where "Lot Rot" (Like that saying actually) If a car/truck is driven normally and maintained correctly-I've never really found one that needs freeze plugs replaced.

In regards to towing: The truck may already have an external transmission cooler. There is no harm in adding to that one, or installing a larger one. Heat break down of transmission fluid is the first and largest killer of auto trans. Did you pull the dip stick and examine the trans fluid? Should be bright red/pink and not have any odd burnt smell to it. These transmission CAN tow light to moderate loads---but I'd go heavy on the cooling package.

As for the price. Never be scared to negotiate. As a rule most will add a %% to what they REALLY will accept to ensure that's what they get in the end.

S-

GoletaKid

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
This is GREAT information! The under carriage looked very clean! The rockers and doors looked real nice. Test drive felt real good. Plenty of power and the ride was nice. No noise in the power steering either!
Current own has installed a new radiator so coolant looked clean. I didn't check the 4WD, but current owner said it has only been used once since new!? Who knows if he's telling my the truth though. I'm going to look at it again this week, I'll test the 4WD then. Stay tuned for another report about my findings and if I've bought it!

Trans cooler will be my first project!

Thanks!

That's a good looking BII, nice find. I'd be looking for any body work, rust, newer looking paint. Check under for rust, door jambs, bottom of doors, drip rails, in the cowl. Look at the coolant, no oil in it, or rusty color. Test drive for sure, check 4x4. Only slowly if you can't take it off pavement. Drive it in figure 8 and listen for abnormal noise. Grinding or hard to turn.

Should tow fine if it's set up for it. If not it'll need a transmission cooler for heavy loads.

Others will chime in if I've missed anything. Good luck and welcome to TRS.

GoletaKid

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I hear what you're say'n about the mileage! I'll do the door check.

Lot rot. I like that. Yea, my thoughts were along those lines as well. Seems the Bronco sat for a while which is why it's in such clean unmolested shape.

A trans cooler will be my first project! I would like to know what trans it has. C5 or A4LD. From what I've been reading, 2WD Broncos and Rangers had the A4LD and a majority of the 4WD Rangers and Broncos IIs had the C5? Perhaps this is wrong? I need to check the Trans Code on the driver's door jam sticker.

Thanks for the great info! It's really appreciated!

Grab the drivers side door while open (Duh...You'd be surprised what people try to do when I suggest this).. Lift or pull up on the door at the edge where the door latch is. See how much play there is. If memory serves that's only an odometer that reads into the ten thousands range. If the door moves up/down like on a pivot a lot? Then the truck likely has a 1 in front of the odometer number. The drivers door gets the most heavy use, and that's one key way to measure it's wear and tear.

If all looks good, I'd say the freeze plugs where "Lot Rot" (Like that saying actually) If a car/truck is driven normally and maintained correctly-I've never really found one that needs freeze plugs replaced.

In regards to towing: The truck may already have an external transmission cooler. There is no harm in adding to that one, or installing a larger one. Heat break down of transmission fluid is the first and largest killer of auto trans. Did you pull the dip stick and examine the trans fluid? Should be bright red/pink and not have any odd burnt smell to it. These transmission CAN tow light to moderate loads---but I'd go heavy on the cooling package.

As for the price. Never be scared to negotiate. As a rule most will add a %% to what they REALLY will accept to ensure that's what they get in the end.

S-

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It has OD so it has an A4LD.

C5 was only 83-84. A4LD replaced it for '85.

My 302 had a seeping soft plug so it isn't terribly uncommon, they erode on the back side until they get thin. The lifters are mechanical so there isn't really much to go wrong with them.

Last edited:

GoletaKid

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Gotcha....

Here's the interesting part. I called the current owner to discuss the Bronco further this morning. I had him check the driver's door pillar information sticker. When I had first looked at the Bronco, I noticed the pan on the AOD had a unfamiliar bump / hump to it. Got me thinking, which is why I asked him to check...

He said the door tag read...

E40D transmission

Rear end is posi.

So, we've got an 85 Bronco II 4WD, 2.8L with an E40D trans.

What's up here? Someone swap it? Or is the guy full of it?

It has OD so it has an A4LD.

C5 was only 83-84. A4LD replaced it for '85.

My 302 had a seeping soft plug so it isn't terribly uncommon, they erode on the back side until they get thin. The lifters are mechanical so there isn't really much to go wrong with them.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
RBV automatics often have a bump in the pan so they can pickup the fluid at odd angles (offroading) compared to cars that often have flat pans.

E4OD didn't come along until 1989 and probably takes more power to run than a 2.8 makes. F-250+ and SUV's, it is what the C6 evolved into. I don't know of any way to fuse a E4OD to a 2.8.

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/AutoTrans.shtml

Last edited:

GoletaKid

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Ok. Yea, I was sorta scratching my head about how all that would work. Perhaps he's guessing. When I look at it again on Thursday, we'll know for sure. The A4LD is coded with a T if I recall? Hopefully that's stamped somewhere on the trans where I can see it.

The Bronco drove really nice and the transmission seemed to shift really well / smooth.

This will be our first Bronco II. Family had a 97 Ranger, but that was 4cyl and manual trans.

Trying to learn all I can before I hand over any cash. My wife really likes the little Bronco. It's a clean rig, but I'll be turning all the wrenches when that time comes.

I really appreciate all your wisdom.

P.S.

What brand trans cooler should I purchase? Is there one you prefer or have installed before and like?

RBV automatics often have a bump in the pan so they can pickup the fluid at odd angles (offroading) compared to cars that often have flat pans.

E4OD didn't come along until 1989 and probably takes more power to run than a 2.8 makes. F-250+ and SUV's, it is what the C6 evolved into. I don't know of any way to fuse a E4OD to a 2.8.

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/AutoTrans.shtml

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The trans code should be on the door sticker. It is T.

It looks too clean to have a different trans hacked into it.

I think the ones I have in mine are Hayden, no issues after 5 years.

Last edited:

GoletaKid

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Gotcha and yes, it is code T.

We did end up buying this 1985 Bronco II. Amazed at how clean it is. The A4LD shifts better than I anticipated. The PO had installed a new radiator without an internal trans-cooler, BUT he added an aftermarket external trans-cooler just in front of the radiator behind the grill. Also, there's a power steering cooler as well!

Once we got it home, I noticed the engine timing was a bit high. So, using my timing light, warmed up the engine and set the timing per the service sticker on the radiator core support. 10 degrees. The idle seems nice, although a bit uneven, but it was always a bit uneven.

There's two noises that bother me.

The first is a creaking in the front suspension when pulling up into the driveway or going over speed bumps.

The second noise is a metallic clinking rattling sounds upon acceleration. Once the Bronco is in high gear and motoring down the road, the noise is gone. Sometimes I hear the clinking rattling when it first starts, but then goes away.

Other than those two noises this Bronco is pretty impressive for a 31 year old vehicle. I've tightened a few loose bolts and found the oil pan sensor plug not plugged in.

Thoughts on the noises?

Thanks!

The trans code should be on the door sticker. It is T.

It looks too clean to have a different trans hacked into it.

I think the ones I have in mine are Hayden, no issues after 5 years.

bronco2fan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3 inch body lift
Tire Size
It's old lol. Old trucks creak occasionally. Bushings are probably going if they're original.The metallic nose could be exhaust related , cats do that too.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
Great looking B2...wish I could find one that nice and be able to afford it LOL. They're great vehicles. Not a fan of the A4LD after having a 93 Ranger transmission fail after being rebuilt within 13,000 miles, maybe the older ones were better IDK, but I'm kind of leary of buying a vehicle with that transmission now.

The noises sound like suspension related, and lifter related, plus the ticking noise if I recall is quite normal most likely from the speedometer, could be an exhaust leak as well.

Contrary to what a lot of people on the forum say, the 2.8L V6 engines were pretty descent engines, I've had 2 vehicles with that engine my 84 ranger and my 84 B2, the B2 was just too far gone with body damage to try and save, the ranger I wish I knew about the duraspark conversion back then that would have saved that truck.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals