• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Benz om617

rangerscout

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Think you could be persuaded to make one for a m50d-r2

1991fordranger1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0 Mercedes diesel
Transmission
Manual
Not a removavle bell and i dont have one to go off of

1991fordranger1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0 Mercedes diesel
Transmission
Manual
If you had a percise drawing ofthe mounting holes on te back of the mercedes and a percise layout including dowel holes on the transmission it is very possible to do. But once angain you will run into issues with the clutch and flywheel it will be to big for the ford transimission and it becomes difficult to match everything but it all comes down to time and money like everything else

MikeR

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Automatic
How did you mount the engine to clear the oil pan against the crossmember. And what did you do exactly with the rad?

jrpdash9

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
How did you mount the engine to clear the oil pan against the crossmember. And what did you do exactly with the rad?

I know on my 2000, I did not have a issue clearing the cross member, but I did have a interference issue with the rake a pinion. I ended up lowering the steering around 2 inches.

1991fordranger1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0 Mercedes diesel
Transmission
Manual
i dropped the motor in and placed it so it was ahead of the cross member by about 3/8 and leveled it all out and made mounts to suit it. The steering linkage was not a issue with my gear box and links but i also have a 1.5 lift in the front which i think helps clear it.

The rad i just sunk into the front end and cut out the bottom of the front end then folded up some strip to make the bottom bracket for it to sit nice and tight up in there running electric fans in front of it.

Ill take some pictures tomorrow if i get working on it like i plan too sorry again for my lack of diligence to get you guys pictures

i may start a link in the suspension side as i work to make the front end ride smoother and the back end have more flex

1991fordranger1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0 Mercedes diesel
Transmission
Manual
I have reason to believe the 23 year old motor mounts are wore out especially with the heavier motor in there. what is out there that is a heavier duty factory mount for the ranger?

1991fordranger1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0 Mercedes diesel
Transmission
Manual
All the engine management wiring can go short of the temp,oil,tac and a key on 12v. If you have a tac, then you can get it to work using an ABS sensor on the ballancer w/3 notches (if your motor was a v-6). One wire to 12v and the other to the signal terminal on the tac, thats what I did and it works prefect.
the balancer is not a complete circle it has two cut outs on it making it like two halves alread but it has a pick up from the original tach is there a way to make this work with a 1:1 to make it match up to the ford system?

i dont really wanna drill holes in it either to effect the balance of it

southaw

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
If there was enough interest in the adapter like i made i could tear apart and measure it up and make few but id have to have a few people to make it worth my while that are willing to pay for for it more i get cheaper i can make them
If the price is right I would want one. This is my biggest holdup, I can just mate the FM145 to my factory 1354 right? That's the only reason I would even consider such a tranny. I'd like to go to an m5r2 but would have to swap transfer cases, custom driveshafts front and back. I suppose I probably should.

Think you could be persuaded to make one for a m50d-r2
You'll be happy to know this already exists :). They also provide GM/Chevy and Jeep adapters for the OM617.
http://www.mercedesdiesel4x4.com/product_p/a-mb203.htm

OM617 to Small Block Ford bellhousings with 164Tooth flywheels or flexplates transmission Adapter Kit. The Small Block Ford pattern was used in many Inline 6 cylinder engines and V8 engines. This kit will NOT fit V6 or Big Block Ford engines.
Here are several known manual transmissions that will work:
T18 - 4 speed, T19 - 4 speed, T5 - 5 speed, NP435 - 4 speed, M50D-R2 - 5 speed.

Price: $455.00

They also sell them, supposedly. They have been out of stock for awhile and at $1K/each if it is real I bet they don't last. I can find them for $800 (as is, it might run :?) or anywhere up to $3K depending on quality and mileage.

Last edited:

1991fordranger1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0 Mercedes diesel
Transmission
Manual
If I'm not mistaken the bolt pattern to the bell housing on the fm145 is the same as that on the t 5 transmission and Id like to know if this is true cuz if it is there are more kits available to adjust the gearing in the transmissions if you wanna go that far. My bell is also designed so you can use the factory Mercedes flywheel and clutch but uses the friction plate from the clutch system on fm145 to match the spline.

southaw

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
If I'm not mistaken the bolt pattern to the bell housing on the fm145 is the same as that on the t 5 transmission and Id like to know if this is true cuz if it is there are more kits available to adjust the gearing in the transmissions if you wanna go that far. My bell is also designed so you can use the factory Mercedes flywheel and clutch but uses the friction plate from the clutch system on fm145 to match the spline.
I got myself a good running 617. As son as I my sister will stop driving it I'm in need of an adapter for either an fm146 or m5r2 but I really don't want to swap transfer cases and do custom driveshafts haha.

If I go for the r2 I can get the adapter above. I don't want to. But damn is that a hell of an adapter you made

Last edited:

1991fordranger1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0 Mercedes diesel
Transmission
Manual
You will need custom drive shafts regardless and will have to remount rad eliminate a custom Trans mount modify tunnel for shifter modify firewall for oil filter housing i I were to do it again Mercedes 4th offer loto of kits with bigger stronger transmission t-case options that will be your best bet cuzip I can't make it for 495 like they sell there kit I got 30 hours in to mine and that's not matrials either 30×25 a hour my time not practical for you that's your best solution

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals