• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

water injection

hr8882

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I have a 1988 ranger 2.9 FI As this model has no place for an EGR { the place where one would go is just blank casting] I need to know if anyone has water injection in use. Emissions Tech says there is nothing wrong with my vehical that my emissions are what they are for the year the vehical. My NOX won't pass. If I lower the timing where the NOX's are good my CO's go array. My cat. O2 sensors are new. Decarbed the combution chambers. [ This helped a little ] Has anyone used water injection on this motor to cool the combution chamber?
Thanks' HR

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Water injection would work to lower NOx BUT............always a but, lol, the O2s would see more oxygen and computer would richen the mix so other levels may fail.

Is the goal just to pass the test or long term lower NOx emissions?

If you are just at the line then a 180deg thermostat(stock is 192deg) might get you a pass.

Running a higher mix of ethanol will lower combustion temps, so add some E85(85% ethanol, actually 65%, lol, most places) to the E10(10% ethanol) you run now, if you are not running E10 then try it.
Ethanol has a higher latent heat value than gasoline, the higher the number the better the cooling effect.
Gasoline is 150BTU/gal
E85 is 360BTU/gal

E25 would be about 300BTU/gal so it doesn't take alot of ethanol to get the cooling effect

Last edited:

hr8882

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
In new Jersey E85 is the only gas I can buy. I backed the timing off 3 degrees this cut it in half but can't go anymore retarded with the timing because of performance and the CO's go of the chart. Maybe I should just except that this truck is what it is for a 1988 and isn't going to meet todays emissions, Was never supposed to.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
You could also try installing a newer universal fit cat that is for a newer model year. That may bring the NOx down.

Napabandit

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Is the new cat a 3 way cat (hydrocarbons, CO, and NOx)? My NOx is high, but still passes. I have a 49 state Ranger in California and am thinking of installing a 3 way cat along with new O2 sensors next time I have to smog.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals