• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

ok to run plug wires through a pipe

Angie

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
92 & 83 project
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.0L 302
Transmission
Automatic
No idea if this is the proper spot for this question or not.

What would be the troubles with running 302 spark plug wires through a single tube on each side of the motor? have this neat set of wire loom tubes, but trying to find information about cross fire with 8MM taylor wires and if I am opening myself up for a world of troubles if I ran the wires in them.

can set them up mock and take a pic if need be.

thanks

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Never seen that done before and I suspect it would be problematic if the shielding on the wires isn't good. Even with good shielding I've seen wires arcing out on other metal parts with a bit of moisture introduced to the mix.

And if the tube itself is metal...not sure if that would make things any better.

I've always ran them as far as possible with wire spacers as frequent as possible...but that may be a product of my buying cheap wires and the fact that there is plenty of moisture in the air where I live.

Do you have the product name by any chance? I'd be interested in reading more on it if it was mass produced...might be something there that I can learn from.

IIBRONCOS

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
You could always try it and see if it works first. Depending on your pipe size you could also individually wrap each wire in an additional shielding material if you have problems.

Angie

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
92 & 83 project
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.0L 302
Transmission
Automatic
here is a pic i found on line

Attachments

Angie

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
92 & 83 project
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.0L 302
Transmission
Automatic
"Do you have the product name by any chance? I'd be interested in reading more on it if it was mass produced...might be something there that I can learn from."

Hi Mark, they are/were made in Canada from a company called vincore.ca dead web site. no idea if they are out of business or changed the name to something else. you can type vincore.ca into google and hit images to see other pics of them.

cheers

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
One of my tractors has them going thru a metal pipe from the factory. Many John Deere models did.

Mine only has points ignition (same as many pre HEI GM cars) and 7mm plug wires but I haven't heard of any problems. Might watch for vibration and rubbing thru the insulation (granted John Deere two cylinders run so smooth you can watch the bounce in the front tires as the engine hits)

I was changing oil this spring and noticed over the winter a mouse had chewed the boot off of one plug, it still doesn't arc to the shield. :dntknw:

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
I have a 70 2800 CS BMW that runs all 6 wires through a pipe like system. They come out near each plug. It was designed that way by BMW.

Angie

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
92 & 83 project
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.0L 302
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 70 2800 CS BMW that runs all 6 wires through a pipe like system. They come out near each plug. It was designed that way by BMW.
That is interesting, v6 or IL6? you ever had a problem with any ignition arcing?

thanks

Angie

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
92 & 83 project
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.0L 302
Transmission
Automatic
One of my tractors has them going thru a metal pipe from the factory. Many John Deere models did.

Mine only has points ignition (same as many pre HEI GM cars) and 7mm plug wires but I haven't heard of any problems. Might watch for vibration and rubbing thru the insulation (granted John Deere two cylinders run so smooth you can watch the bounce in the front tires as the engine hits)

I was changing oil this spring and noticed over the winter a mouse had chewed the boot off of one plug, it still doesn't arc to the shield. :dntknw:
Glad to hear this also :) might be ok to run them... will be sticking grommets in the pipe holes for wire protection if I use them... thanks for the info. just mainly worried about cross jumping of the spark signal coming from a MSD AL6 and msd dizzy... can't see this being any concern... but never know.

thanks

Angie

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
92 & 83 project
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.0L 302
Transmission
Automatic
you could also individually wrap each wire in an additional shielding material if you have problems.

true... don't know if there is enough room though. cheers

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
"Do you have the product name by any chance? I'd be interested in reading more on it if it was mass produced...might be something there that I can learn from."

Hi Mark, they are/were made in Canada from a company called vincore.ca dead web site. no idea if they are out of business or changed the name to something else. you can type vincore.ca into google and hit images to see other pics of them.

cheers
Thank you...I checked their website and it seems to have recently expired so it may be back up if they renew in time.

As I said, I've never seen this setup used but if it's good enough for a BMW and a tractor then I suppose it has some merits.

Personally though, I'd like to see the tube have an opening in the even that one of the wires should need replacing...I can see having to pull the whole thing off if that happened but these things usually only happen to me...lol...and likely the result of my own actions like getting a torch or other tool too close.

Andy D

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
The Rat
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
My credo
to prevent Found On the Road Dead, Fix Or Repair Daily
Heh heh My 528e I 6 had the wires in a snap together plastic thingy that was screwed down on the valve cover. A wire set was 275$ but were good for 20 yrs. Typical V8 wire mgt is those sheet metal brackets with a plastic piece to hold the wires in. :D

Die.Fledermaus

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.0 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Total Lift
0"
Tire Size
215/75-15
Really old ACVWs had a steel tube to hold long runs of high voltage ignition wire. They also had 6 volt electrical systems, manual chokes, and a reserve tap instead of a gas gauge.

Today the last metal guide holding wires I saw was from the street rod guys running v-8s. I would assume it is to keep the wires of the headers as they were aluminum and kind of blingy.

southcycle

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right the first time when are you going to have time to do it over?
One big advantage of spiral wound plug wires is that they don't induce voltage into each other. You should be fine!

Sent from my K010 using Tapatalk

Angie

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
92 & 83 project
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.0L 302
Transmission
Automatic
Personally though, I'd like to see the tube have an opening in the even that one of the wires should need replacing...I can see having to pull the whole thing off if that happened but these things usually only happen to me...lol...and likely the result of my own actions like getting a torch or other tool too close.
Actually it is easier than you think. the way these are designed, you place the spark plug end to the longest run then work back wards to the shortest. these are for the build your own plug wires. then after the plug ends are on the spark plugs, run the wires to the distributor and cut then crimp the ends to length for the 2 sides. if you get a bad wire or some thing, i would say you can pull the bad one out and re run a new one.

from your responses I will try them out and see how they work, I can't see any major problems . only thing i am a bit leery of is cutting down the wires and crimping them up to find out that they cross fire and send signals to the wrong pistons. chance i will take and at least I will know what the cause of the problem is,

cheers all

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals