• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

System Help

felix1985

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
First off, I would like to say hello to everyone. I am a brand new member, and am looking forward to utilizing the sea of info on this site. Thanks in advance.

I have a '99 ranger ext cab 4x4 that i am looking to put a descent system in. I have some old components that i had left over from a project that never got off the ground from several years ago that i would like to use to save money.

I am a newb as far as stereos go and only have minimal knowledge on the subject. I have been researching like crazy and have visited several local stereo shops but still am not getting the info that i need. Im overwhelmed by all the different components available and dont really trust the guys at the shops as they have their own agendas. Thats why i need your guys' help. What im hoping is that you guys can fill in the blanks as far as what i REALLY need that i don't already have and what you guys recommend to fill those holes. Obviously im not a stereo guru. I just want a well-rounded system that will improve the quality of the stock stereo. So here goes:

What i have that I want to use:

HU: JVC KD-LX300 El Kameleon
Amps: Alpine V12 2/1 ch. MRV-T503
Alpine V12 4/3/2 ch. MRV-F307

What I need:

4 5x7's for the interior midrange
Subs: not sure what size or power

The local shop said my truck has 5x7s all the way around. So, what would you recommend for these based on my amp.

Also, I'm not sure what i need as far as a sub(s) or enclosure. I want something that will be powerful and tight but not overwhelming as far as being inside the truck and i don't want to use my entire rear cab just for an enclosure. I listen to mostly hard rock and metal. IE: Chimaira, Metallica, Breaking Benjamin, Sevendust, Slipknot, etc. But i also listen to some country.

I know this is a lot of info, but would really appreciate your help. Thanks in advance.

Also, components that i have that I would like to sell:

JVC CH-X350 12 disk changer
Infinity 452i 4" two way 35w rms, 105w peak
Infinity 6953i 6x9 three way 100w rms, 300w peak
JL Audio power wedge box with 2 12" JL subs

Make on offer.

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
welcome to the site.
You might want to add what type of music you like to listen to as some speakers are better than others when playing different types of music. They also react differently when driven by different amps. Sorry I can't be of more help but there are a lot of audio guys on here and I'm sure someone will have an answer that will work for you.

Ranger4657

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.ohh nooo
Transmission
Automatic
i wouldn't recommend getting 5x7's to replace the stock 5x7's, i did that and while some are good speakers, the majority of them just dont crank out good sound. (ive got infinity kappa's for rear and alpine type S or R ? for front) they do ok. if your good at fab skills id do a component set in your doors, and open up the rear 5x7's to 6x9's or add another set of components back there.

as for subs, depends if you love bass and rap and that crap.... go with 12" 's and a bandpass box, if you like SQ go for a sealed box or ported.
frequent bass like in techno is good with 8" or 10" subs as they hit faster then a 12" will...

i have 2 10" 's in my truck pushed with 800 watts cont. and i can adjust them to fit my needs ( i listen to mainly trance, house, rock, metal.. and my 10"s do just fine for everything with some tuning.) i rarly ever turn the bass up all the way but its there if i ever need to feel the air being displaced.

i prefer to use mono class D amps for the subs, much more reliable and you can push them harder.
but 2/1 ch amps are ok too....

also dont forget to montier what your current usage is in your truck! our 95 amp alt. do fine to a point!
if you over excede your current rating go for a cap killer, or audio battery (highly reccomended as they have high discharge and recharge rates)
also the explorer uses a 130 amp alt. that ill bolt into our rangers.

as far as shopping at audio stores, its a waist and they will rip you off.
use websites like
http://sonicelectronix.com
to buy your equipment. much cheaper better bang for your buck.PLUS its xmas time! deals deals deals!

sorry i couldent help match spkrs to ur amp, too lazy after typing all that but hope that gives u some more insight.

Last edited:

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
Well first off #1 don't trust local shops... one reason being your truck comes stock with 6x8 speakers not 5x7's. 6x8 or kind of an odd size and most just make 6x9's. But a few companys make them. I absolutely LOVE my system, I have a 99 ranger ex cab 4 door.

well since you are not really needing bass for your type of music, maybe just to add that extra kick on the down low... I would suggest a low power sub, 10 or 12 as low powered subs can sound just as good as 10,000W SUBS!!!!!!!!!!! if not better because its not taking over your music.

And 6x8's are the factory sized speakers even though most just list 5x7's and 6x9's. With some trimming I believe you can get 6x9's to fit just fine.

Lets see personally I love my system it is one of the nicest around town here and wasn't overly expensive.

I got...
HU: Pioneer Premier DEH P410UB
Speakers: Pioneer Premier TS D802P
Speaker amp: Alpine MRP F300
Sub Amp: Dual XiA3145
Sub: And an older version of one of these

I love my set up the HU looks awesome and is so easy to use unlike what many people say about it.
The speakers.. I completely reccomend them!!!!!!!! they give great mid and high response (not as good as components with spereate tweeters but way better then the ones with like 4 in the little orb thing) and they can handle really well I haven't even hooked up my amp yet for them and i can turn it all the way up with minimal if any distortion and make peoples ears bleed.
As befor I haven't hooked up the alpine amp yet.... will when I get a chance to pull up the carpet.
I got the sub and box at a garage sale for ten bucks and it is by far the best sounding one I have heard. It is only 400 max and i believe 120 or so RMS but it sounds clear partially due to the box I think (its made of 1.25" MDF) The box also fits nicely behind the passenger seat so i have room for all my other junk.
Alot of people hate Dual equipment for some reason and I think its crap... I have had beter luck with that amp and the deck in my old truck then any of my friends with alpines and kenwoods. I never bolted the apm down in my old truck so it literally just flew around the cab for 2 years and it still works (looks bad but works like it was new.)

If anything I would get the speakers, they are AWESOME!

Ranger4657

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.ohh nooo
Transmission
Automatic
Well first off #1 don't trust local shops... one reason being your truck comes stock with 6x8 speakers not 5x7's. 6x8 or kind of an odd size and most just make 6x9's. But a few companys make them. I absolutely LOVE my system, I have a 99 ranger ex cab 4 door.

well since you are not really needing bass for your type of music, maybe just to add that extra kick on the down low... I would suggest a low power sub, 10 or 12 as low powered subs can sound just as good as 10,000W SUBS!!!!!!!!!!! if not better because its not taking over your music.

And 6x8's are the factory sized speakers even though most just list 5x7's and 6x9's. With some trimming I believe you can get 6x9's to fit just fine.

Lets see personally I love my system it is one of the nicest around town here and wasn't overly expensive.

I got...
HU: Pioneer Premier DEH P410UB
Speakers: Pioneer Premier TS D802P
Speaker amp: Alpine MRP F300
Sub Amp: Dual XiA3145
Sub: And an older version of one of these

I love my set up the HU looks awesome and is so easy to use unlike what many people say about it.
The speakers.. I completely reccomend them!!!!!!!! they give great mid and high response (not as good as components with spereate tweeters but way better then the ones with like 4 in the little orb thing) and they can handle really well I haven't even hooked up my amp yet for them and i can turn it all the way up with minimal if any distortion and make peoples ears bleed.
As befor I haven't hooked up the alpine amp yet.... will when I get a chance to pull up the carpet.
I got the sub and box at a garage sale for ten bucks and it is by far the best sounding one I have heard. It is only 400 max and i believe 120 or so RMS but it sounds clear partially due to the box I think (its made of 1.25" MDF) The box also fits nicely behind the passenger seat so i have room for all my other junk.
Alot of people hate Dual equipment for some reason and I think its crap... I have had beter luck with that amp and the deck in my old truck then any of my friends with alpines and kenwoods. I never bolted the apm down in my old truck so it literally just flew around the cab for 2 years and it still works (looks bad but works like it was new.)

If anything I would get the speakers, they are AWESOME!

i have the same alpine amp the f300 its a great amp! its pushing the doors and rear's. never had a problem with it!

i had an old pioneer premier deck such a nice deck!, then upgraded to the new style like last year and had major problems with it, wound up with 5 malfunctioning decks =[ but i got the $300 alpine deck for the price of the pioneer one cause the guys felt sorry for me ahha

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
hah thats tight! Yeah I just need some time and sstuff so I can get it all hooked up. Probably next week after winter break starts.

4x4fun

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
really?
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
x3 on the alpine amp.
mod to fit 6x9's
low power to high power subs is not true. seams like it should be but its not.
but two 10's around 150wrms each, and new speakers and a good hu will be all you should really need.

dont buy used drvers or duel lol :icon_thumby:

and ill repost more when im sober

tylork92

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
x3 on the alpine amp.
mod to fit 6x9's
low power to high power subs is not true. seams like it should be but its not.
but two 10's around 150wrms each, and new speakers and a good hu will be all you should really need.

dont buy used drvers or duel lol :icon_thumby:

and ill repost more when im sober
nothing wrong with buying used as long as there not meesed up (if you buy used subs check the coils with a DMM to make sure there fine and push down on the cone with your hand and make sure theres no coil rub...i almost would rather buy used so you donthave to go through the break in phase.)

felix1985

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I appreciate the help guys. I've checked out some online audio stores and the difference in savings is incredible. The one local shop I thought i trusted was going to charge me double (no exageration) for the same speakers i was looking at.

So, i'm guessing 5x7s and 6x8s are interchangeable? I was also going to ask your opinions on a couple of enclosures i was looking at that are specifically for rangers. Tell me what you think about these. I like them because they best utilize the available space in the rear cab. I'm not sure about having the subs facing the floor. Is that acceptable? Seems to me they would work/sound better facing up or at least out rather than down.

For dual subs: http://caraudiofactory.com/ford-ranger-extended-p-66.html

For single sub: http://www.supercrewsound.com/commerce/product.jsp?prodId=48&catId=60

or this: http://www.supercrewsound.com/commerce/product.jsp?prodId=21&catId=60

Ranger4657

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.ohh nooo
Transmission
Automatic
glad you checked out the online stores!!! such a savings with them!

ive the downfire dual sub box like in ur first link. some prefer downfire, some upire, i think if youve got the power. downfire is cool, ive seen some kicker L7's mounted face up that POUNDED, but those are L7's haha. i like the subs facing the floor for security reaisons.

also i forgot to mention that for subs you might want to look into DVC coil subs.... better wiring choices.

and look into the BIG 3 wiring, it helps allot.

heres a pic of my set up before it was instaled. this is the origional pic before i installed kicker 0ga wire with dist. blocks.

(yes i know the caps are the dist blocks but oh welll, it worked for the time i used it haha)

subs :

Last edited:

tylork92

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
if you have the means and kno how i suggest building your own box. Do ported with sub forward and port up.

Ranger4657

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.ohh nooo
Transmission
Automatic
+1

the prefab box's like the one i have isnt the best quality, but it works well i think.
and is a good starter platform for ideas about other box's once you get the ball rolling the ideas really flow!
for my next setup i am defiantly going to build my own box and remove those stupid jump seats and fill the entire ex. cab with equipment.

felix1985

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Whats all that hardware on the side of your box? Did you have to mount that there?

Ranger4657

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.ohh nooo
Transmission
Automatic
those are a power acoustic 5 fa. cap and a sound labs 1 fa. cap i've got em wired so they should put out about 6 fa of cap. but in all honesty there kinda useless and i know there not true to there rating claim., but they do help allot with deep momentary bass. i need a larger alt. or a cap killer.

and the closer there located next to the amps the better as far as caps go, they say like with in 2-3 feet is good for caps, but i wanted as close as possible.

i also like them cause they both give a voltage rating at the cap...
i want to install a digital ammeter in the same location to constantly monitor the current.

Ranger4657

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.ohh nooo
Transmission
Automatic
and the closer you mount a cap to its load the better it preforms. within like 3 feet is good, but i dident feel like messing around with the 0ga wire so i mounted it really close haha.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals