• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ground loop or shorted speaker?

TheUgster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
V6 3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Howdy guys, just installed a pair of Infinity Kappa 5x7s in the front doors of my truck, along with a new headunit. I took my time, soldering and heatshrinking all the wires for the harness, and carefully installed the speakers. When I turned the system on (KOEO), I heard static from the passenger side, and when I started it up, ALTERNATOR WHINE. I unscrewed the right speaker again, set it on the floor, turned the system back on... No noise. I went to reinstall the speaker with the key in the Accessory position, and the screw made tiny sparks as it contacted the speaker screw hole and door.

Again, this is only on the passenger side. It doesn't appear to do this with the old speaker, however that one was original to my truck, and as such was in pretty poor shape. Thusfar I've checked the resistance of all the wires going to that side, everything from the head unit to the wiring looks good. I took the passenger footwell cover off, and realized that the negative speaker wire grounds to the chassis. Is it supposed to be this way? I was under the impression that both wires had to go back to the HU first, which was grounded thusly. Let me know what you guys think, I'm really scratching my head here.

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
check the ohm load between the speaker terminals with a multimeter while it's disconnected

Loud Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'95
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
it shouldnt be a common ground like your describing, is that the only speaker that is grounded like that? My vote goes to running some new wire just to know its right. The hard part is getting it thru the rubber elbow in the door but a coat hanger helps a lot.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals