• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Truth about the Air Force

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
^I second what he said. I would do it again in a heart beat but go back as an officer.
I'd also go back and do it all over again (although I'd start at an earlier age, given the choice). Still considering jumping back in again in a few months.

alexpmcmurphy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
often overlooked the coast guard is a smaller branch of the military and from what ive seen tends to look out for their people pretty well, just something to consider

IT1 active duty coast guard

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Marines

Army

Air Force

Navy

(least to greatest life expectancy and overall care of the soldier's well-being)

need any more info???????????????????
I have never been in the military but do I enjoy researching its history.

Personally two of the scariest things I can come up with is being stuck in either a crashing aircraft or sinking ship. Still being of sound mind and knowing what is going on but not being able to do anything about it.

The modern little fights we have been in haven't been too bad for AF and Navy though, but if we tie into someone that actually has a decent military it probably wouldn't be as cushy.

doorgunner

Lab Rat for V.A. hospital
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
2009 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
New Orleans (8' below sea level & sinking)
Vehicle Year
1934/1989
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
350+1
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
3/4
Tire Size
23570R15
My credo
JESUS Loves Ya!
I have never been in the military but do I enjoy researching its history.

Personally two of the scariest things I can come up with is being stuck in either a crashing aircraft or sinking ship. Still being of sound mind and knowing what is going on but not being able to do anything about it. It's ALL scarey...eyeball to eyeball has to be the worst (being a doorgunner...they never got any closer to me than trying to climb into my helicopter while we were taking off )...I witnessed enough hand-to-hand combat in over-run L.Zs and villages that I am sure glad I never had to do it!!!!!!

The modern little fights we have been in haven't been too bad for AF and Navy though, but if we tie into someone that actually has a decent military it probably wouldn't be as cushy.

It would be a slaughter on both sides if we ever pick on a nation equal to ours (so far, as a nation, we've just been dealing with the second string players/and I'm definately NOT putting down our brave troops/bullets are real no matter who's doing the shooting)....nobody who could launch a full-throttle attack against our mainland)....the scarey thing is, if Americans whine & complain about a drawn-out war on the other side of the planet--what are they gonna do with ICBMs/etc.????

littlehat

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I'm a member of the Navy and can say from my experience so far it tries to take care of its sailors as best it can for the time being. Not many opportunities as far as jobs available unless you want to wait extra for something that might not even open soon. Our command is on an old Navy base now owned by the AF. AF has a ton of dough moving through it on their side, but we don't get much over here. From what people have told me the quality of life is much better in the AF, but rank comes super slow.

doorgunner

Lab Rat for V.A. hospital
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
2009 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
New Orleans (8' below sea level & sinking)
Vehicle Year
1934/1989
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
350+1
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
3/4
Tire Size
23570R15
My credo
JESUS Loves Ya!
I'm a member of the Navy and can say from my experience so far it tries to take care of its sailors as best it can for the time being. Not many opportunities as far as jobs available unless you want to wait extra for something that might not even open soon. Our command is on an old Navy base now owned by the AF. AF has a ton of dough moving through it on their side, but we don't get much over here. From what people have told me the quality of life is much better in the AF, but rank comes super slow.

I guess quality of life is revelant.....we couldn't get ammunition, but got promoted rapidly (it wasn't the rank that mattered to us in Viet Nam/it was the $100 a month + combat pay...LOL)--you guys can't get promoted....sometimes things just plain suck no matter what situation you're in.

I have notice recently that my thoughts aren't always connected...I don't know whether to blame it on old age/or getting soaked with Agent Orange..................................................................................................................................................................................................................................hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm..................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................come to think of it......................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................I started havong problems with my thought processes at 21 years of age---a few months after the Agent Orange "incidents"........................................................................................................................................................................................................I'm glad we had this talk......thanks, men!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals