• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2003 Ranger Edge starts and then stalls

prairieranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
About 2 months ago, I was out running errands and after about the 3rd stop when I got back in the truck it cranked over but then stalled. I got out fiddled with the gas cap opened the hood like I knew what I was doing and after about 5 minutes it started right up without any problems. I bought a new gas cap because I know that can be an issue. The problem did not repeat until last week when it happened the same way on two different days. I took it in and had the local Ford dealership look at it. They could not duplicate the problem and there were no error codes when they hooked it up. They said they couldn't guarantee anything but suggested switching out the idle control valve...for $188. I have found how to clean it...might try that first.

I have about 40,000 miles on the truck...nothing very strenous. Automatic transmission.

To describe what happens a bit better...I turn the key over and the truck starts for about 2 seconds and then shuts off. The lights are fine and everything comes on with no problem. This only happens after I have made a few stops lasting anywhere from 15 to 20 minutes. It has happened a total of three times.

Any thoughts? Your suggestions are appreciated!

Last edited:

snake

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Kind of a common problem with these trucks is the fuel pump relay. Next time it does this, turn the key off, open the door and listen closely- turn the key to the "on" position and listen for a ZZZZZZZZZZZZT sound for a few seconds- this is the fuel pump pressuring up. If you don't hear this sound, I would suspect the fuel pump or the relay, the relay being more common, cheaper, and easier to fix. You may want to listen for it before it screws up again so you get accustomed to the sound and know what you are listening for.

The relay is located under the hood in a plastic relay box- driver's side up towards the brake booster. If you don't want to spend the $10, just switch it with another relay in the box.

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
This does sound like the fuel pressure is bleeding off.
Could be a number of things.

After a failed start or after it starts and dies:
Turn key to Run, do not crank, listen for FP.
Key to Off. Repeat 2 or 3X, THEN crank it.

If that works, fuel pressure is the problem.
Try a new fuel filter.

Could also be that the checkvalve is sticking open (not sure if yours is still part of the fuel pump itself or part of the fuel filter).

Could also be an injector stuck open, bleeding off the fuel into one cylinder. A close inspection of all the spark plugs may reveal which injector is the culprit.

Welcome to TRS!

prairieranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
You guys are great! I will try all of your suggestions! I will let you know of my progress to help others who are having this problem.

prairieranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Again, thanks for the replies. They put a manual fuel pressure guage on the rail...I hope that is right... That was fine...never lost pressure. They changed out the fuel relay and it worked...but then stopped again. Did spark tests on everything...that was all good. Finally narrowed it down to the computer. Something about the internal ground was bad???? Sounds like a bad thing for me but there is a federal mandate out there that if that crashes...Ford has to replace it. I didn't ask a lot of questions, just going to let them switch it out. They are going to do that in the next few days and then I am finally going to get my truck back.

I just wanted to give an answer in case anyone else is having this issue. They told me that it is normally the fuel pump in this situation but in my case...I had to be different.

If this doesn't end up being the problem, I will post again. :icon_cheers:

snake

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Thanx for the update! Its how we keep current on stuff...

prairieranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I have had the truck back for a few weeks now...seems to be working. Thanks for the input and I hope this helps someone in the future.

bbbb51

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
So u are saying because of federal mandate they put a new computer in it for free? If o k. thats kewl ,will remember that one.

Viva*the*Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Once or twice a year my truck will do the same thing. 03 3.0, auto, it will just die. It starts right back up, but all three times it happened, it was when I was pulling out into traffic. I've seen my life flash before me each time. Pretty scary sh!t. Both myself and the local Ford dealership couldn't find anything wrong, so this is good to know. Thank you. It may actually save my life; you only get lucky so many times.

F-22Raptor

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
My 2003 4.0L manual does the same thing and all in the past month, but it does it when i put it into neutral the majority of the time, except for today it would start and then die unless i pushed on the pedal then it would stay running till i let it off, then die. I waited five minutes and it started rite up without dyeing like nothing had ever happened. I was taking a right into a gas station last week and it died, lost power steering, so i slammed on the breaks to avoid hitting the median and almost got rear ended by a mustang. scary shit. thank you for the information i will try to figure this out accordingly.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals