• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

5.0 into an 88 xlt, how hard is it? Options

jmkjr72

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
explorer
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
5.0 into an 88 xlt, how hard is it? Options

Track this topic
Email this topic
Print this topic
Download this topic
Subscribe to this forum
Switch to: Outline
Standard
Switch to: Linear+ smcgill Jul 13 2007, 12:36 AM Post #1

New User

Group: Members
Member No.: 26,243
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger
Vehicle Year: 1988
2WD or 4WD: 4WD

Ok so i am on my third 2.9 and its not doing it for me. it doesn't have the power and it is just giving me problems. so i want to know how hard is it to put a 5.0 into my 1988 ranger xlt regular cab? What all modifications will need to be done? What parts will i need? and how much will it cost me? so if someone could let me know what i am getting into i would apriciate it.

Full Edit
Quick Edit
projectnitemare Jul 13 2007, 08:49 PM Post #2

The Nitemare Lives

Group: Premium Member
Member No.: 319
Vehicle Model: Ranger XLT
Vehicle Year: 88

Fast, cheap and reliable. Pick two of the three. Cost all depends on what parts you use and how shop. I've seen it done for under $1000 and I have seen them done for over $10K. If you can find a beat up good engine F-150, you have most of the parts right there. Toss the t-case and find an NP 205 or 208, get some driveshafts made and thats about it. You will have to do all the wiring and you can make engine mounts from the 2.9L lowers and some .25in steel plate. You will need a different radiator, filter relocator, rear or dual sump oil pan and a good bit of time. A reliable engine swap is rather involved. How are you killing the 2.9 all the time? You might end up doing the same thing with 302s as well. Oh yeah, you need to check with your local emissions first. It would suck to do all that work to not be able to drive it on the street.

Matt

Full Edit
Quick Edit
85rangerv-8 Jul 13 2007, 09:25 PM Post #3

This place is addicting!

Member No.: 14,871
Vehicle Make: ford
Vehicle Model: ranger
Vehicle Year: 1985

ive been reading his posts and asking nitemare questions for for a while now and this is the only time i would ever think of going aganst him..lol.........fast.....cheap..........reliable do not go together in any set-up.iam not trying to disscourage you but dont start this unless your ready to finish it!its like a drug.............it just starts with a little and then it consumes you...........(mad laugh)............anybody got a set of dana 60's for sale?lol............do your homework and set a budget.

This post has been edited by 85rangerv-8: Jul 13 2007, 09:27 PM

Full Edit
Quick Edit
smcgill Jul 14 2007, 11:20 PM Post #4

New User

Member No.: 26,243
Vehicle Year: 1988

What can i say the 2.9 has a deff lack of power and when i am out playing around i don't use 4 hi because it just doesn't have enough power so i run 4 lo alot and have a heavy foot when i get into it.

Full Edit
Quick Edit
PaukertRacing Jul 14 2007, 11:45 PM Post #5

I like this place......

Member No.: 17,251
Vehicle Model: Bronco II
Vehicle Year: 1989

QUOTE(85rangerv-8 @ Jul 13 2007, 09:25 PM)

ive been reading his posts and asking nitemare questions for for a while now and this is the only time i would ever think of going aganst him..lol.........fast.....cheap..........reliable do not go together in any set-up.iam not trying to disscourage you but dont start this unless your ready to finish it!its like a drug.............it just starts with a little and then it consumes you...........(mad laugh)............anybody got a set of dana 60's for sale?lol............do your homework and set a budget.

haha. That's why he said pick TWO of the three. Not all of them! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/good.gif)

Full Edit
Quick Edit
Staggering_Genius Jul 30 2007, 11:31 AM Post #6

I like this place......

Member No.: 23,497
Vehicle Year: 2000

Fast, cheap, reliable... Usually with women you only get two of those options too...

Full Edit
Quick Edit
wade Jul 31 2007, 01:37 AM Post #7

Checking it out.....

Member No.: 12,466
Vehicle Year: 1989
2WD or 4WD: 2WD

Find a recently wrecked 5.0L Exploder that still runs and is in good mechanical condition. It may not be as performance enhanced as the GT, or Cobra engine, but it will be the quickest way to get a transferable 5.0L into your Ranger. Even the cheesy exhaust manifolds or stock headers should fit. They're not the best performance parts but they'll fit.
Here's what you'll need:
Try to get as much of it from the donor 'sploder as possible even if you're going to end up replacing it. Its a part to show the Ford Parts counter or a core at Auto Zone.

*Complete Engine (should have a dual sump oil pan on it.) (maybe the tranny - depends upon what you want.)
*Sensors & Actuators
*Computer
*Main wiring harness (Don't discard the old Ranger harness. It has lotsa' good color-coded wire in case you have to do some splicing. And, remember, solder and heat-shrink, NOT crimp connectors)
*If you think you'll need any of the other electrical wiring or harnesses - get it now.
*Ignition E-Coil
*You might scarf the high pressure supply fuel line/filter & return fuel line
*High pressure fuel pump
*O2 sensor(s) mounted in the exhaust
*Engine mounts: Use the 4.0L V6 mounts if your gonna make adapter plates. Don't use the hydraulic 4-cyl mounts as they are not strong enough. The mid-80's convertible 5.0L Mustang mounts work well also and are actually fairly easy to install.
* Radiator: Search and read, there are options
*Oil Filter Relocation: Search and read. There are options. (cheap & NOT cheap)
*Don't forget to modify the heater plenum for R-side valve cover clearance.
The only thing else you may have to really customize is the exhaust system. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon_welder.gif)
Like Staples says, "That was easy." (IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon_twisted.gif)

READ - READ - READ !!!
Now, someone else may have other tips to add to this.

This post has been edited by wade: Jul 31 2007, 02:14 AM

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals