• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

86 2.9 to 99 ranger 4.0 ac swap

Efordman

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
So I have a complete ranger that was totaled after running off the road into trees that I'm using for my 4.0 swap... The AC still works and I wanted to transplant the complete system still sealed into my bronco 2 if I can. So I'm pulling the complete dash and pulling all wiring needed for my swap...I'm keeping the OBD2 Port, all cluster wiring, pats system, and clutch safety system in place and pulling everything else out of the harness. How will I be able to control the newer AC system with the bronco 2 original setup? I haven't found any post about this wiring yet but did read the complete system should bolt Into the bronco.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I doubt you will be able to keep it sealed pulling the condenser out from in front of radiator, and then reinstalling it

So you are putting the 1999 4.0l w/AC into the 1986 B2, right?

AC is either ON or OFF, so it is just an on/off switch there is no "temp" control.
Temp is controlled by the Blend Door on Rangers and B2s
When you select COLD on the dash slider the Blend door covers the heater core so no air from the fan passes thru it.
If you have AC then the Evaporator will also be in the Air box, so if AC is ON and temp is turned to COLD then you would have full AC cooling, if you slide temp over a bit towards HOT then some air would also go thru heater core and you get a bit warmer air coming out with the mix.

So you really only need an AC ON/OFF switch on the dash that turns on the compressor.
The on/off switch also runs thru the high and low pressure switches on the AC pipes, so if there is a problem you won't burn out the compressor, it would shut off if there was a pressure problem

The 1999 Ranger AC on/off did run thru the Computer, 3 wires
1. AC ON/OFF from dash control, 12volt/0volt
2. Ground from high/low pressure switches
3. Ground for AC on/off relay in engine fuse box

If you turn on the AC(send computer 12v) then computer passes the Ground from high/low switches to the AC Relay, closing it to turn on compressor.
So if a high/low pressure switch was "open" then no AC.

There were two reasons for computer to be involved, if engine temp got too hot computer would turn AC off, when you accelerate and go to WOT(wide open throttle), computer would turn AC off to give driver more power for passing or ??, then turn AC back on when not at Full Throttle.

You can use computer for this or not use it, really up to you

Last edited:

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Way back when I first joined this forum, I was dismantling a 91 ranger. Someone told me I couldn't remove the AC without losing freon. I set out to prove them wrong and succeeded. IIRC it took me about 13 hours. So it is possible to pull. I never tried to put it into another vehicle.

Efordman

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
So my goal is to remove the system as one unit in one loop. The HVAC box is already damaged and cracked on the ranger I'm using... So removal should be easy since the radiator is already removed and the condenser is easy to get out. I will remove the pump and all other parts before pulling the motor. Will I be able to remove the HVAC box on the bronco after the 4.0 is already in it to install Everything back??

Efordman

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Maybe someone can answer this... So my motor swap has went well and an ISSUE​ I'm running into is it sees like the evaporator doesn't fit in the HVAC box. Do anyone know if a 99 evaporator is different from an 86?? I hate to pull it back out since it was so hard to get it into the box

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock, may get leveling springs in front "somday"
Tire Size
Maybe someone can answer this... So my motor swap has went well and an ISSUE​ I'm running into is it sees like the evaporator doesn't fit in the HVAC box. Do anyone know if a 99 evaporator is different from an 86?? I hate to pull it back out since it was so hard to get it into the box
Something like an evaporator, why don't you just get new? it can't be that expensive it would save you some real aggravation in the long term,

part numbers if you look them up, could tell you something but there's so many years between the two, they must be different!

AdirondackRanger

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
I brake for leaves that could be frogs
I modified the rear of the box and the front lower hole to put the 99 condenser into the 88 housing. I just cut the oval shaped recess off the back and placed a piece of flat plastic over the back. using sealant to keep the air flow in. then just put silicone over the old lower hole.

The entire system came out of the donor truck unopened.

Efordman

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
That's what I was thinking about doing if I had another box just in case. The system is still sealed so modifying the box is an option

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals