• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Is 900-950 consider high idle at op. temp.

chewy012

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
Maybe down as low as 850? I think the idle drops when I unplug the IAC but I'm not sure. If it doesn't, it's frigged right?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

enjr44

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 2X4; 08 FX4
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Yes and No!

The idle is high, about 750 or a little higher seems usual. My 02 idles around 750. My 08, around 650, which I think is probably a little low.

If you pull the iac connector and the idle does not drop, pull it and clean it. Pull the negative battery cable and let it set while you clean the valve. Then put the electrical connector back on the battery and the valve and switch the key from off to run while looking at the valve. With key off it should be completely closed, on should be full open.

If it is doing all this, maybe someone has messed with the throttle body butterfly stop screw. You run into folk that think they can adjust the idle with that screw, it is not there to adjust the idle. It is there to keep the butterfly from hitting the sides of the TB when closed. I don't know the spec for adjusting this; but, I'm sure you can find it in the tech section.

A vacuum leak is a possible cause for the engine to idle high and not drop when you pull the connector off the iac; but, you should be getting a code at some point since the o2 sensors should get upset.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes to the above

Just to add 1992 4.0l manual trans will idle at 625, automatic at 750, that's warm engine idle, in gear automatic should go up to 800 approx., these are "target idles" in the computers memory.
Cold engine idles as high as 1,400, this is based on outside temp, which is engine temp on cold start, it should drop to about 1,100rpms in under 1 minute, then warm engine idle after 5 to 8 minutes.

If you unplug the IAC valve on a warmed up engine then idle should drop down to 500 or engine should stall, either is good it means no vacuum leaks.

If idle stays higher than 700 then there is a vacuum leak, or as enjr44 said someone has messed with throttle position sensor(TPS) adjustment, looks like idle screw........it ain't

An IAC Valve wouldn't be much good if engine could idle higher than target idle when IAC is fully closed, not much point in even having it lol.
So throttle plate fully closed and IAC valve fully closed should have warm engine idle of about 500, lower than manual trans target warm engine idle, this allows IAC valve to set 625rpm idle even with small vacuum leaks that occur over time as engine gets older and hoses get small cracks, these don't effect operation until they get bigger.

Last edited:

chewy012

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
Yup I'm thinking the IAC solenoid is bad...

Unplugged it, idle stayed between 900 and 980. Pulled the solenoid off the valve, no change. I could push on the valve piece and I engine sped up, also no hissing. Voltage at the plug varied between .5 and 13.5 more or less... Resistance one the solenoid varied when I pushed on the plunger but doesn't seem to actuate on it's own.

I:m thinking it out haha

chewy012

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
Well, actually, before I get carried away, I'm check for vac. Leaks and check that screw.

I know none of the hoses leak, I just replaced them all. Any other spots to check? Also, I hear no hissing, I'm figuring a can of ether.

Any other leak check methods you like?

chewy012

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
For those still keeping score, confirmed this morning the IAC does work. Or at least works now.

Confession, I may have had one of those "hey, I'm gonna play with the screw on the throttle link" days, back a few months ago... Thought I got back to where it should've been... Anyway, dial't the screw back some more this morning with the duct off. Air was pulling through the bypass channel, pull't the IAC plug, idle dropped to 500.

I think I'm still around 800-850 but not sure, just had the tac to go off, usually I read from my scan tool.

Thanks fer the help guys!!

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Still high for a manual trans.

My '94 4.0l shows 625-630 range when fully warmed up.

Do you or did you have A/C?
That will kick up idle if computer thinks it is on, and it would be even higher because it isn't on, lol.

chewy012

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, still high :/
I have a/c, and it's low so I keep it off/unplugged.

Also I did the WOT starting test. No fire, so no injector dribble.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals