• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

01' F-150 4.6L What other motors match?

Jolly Roger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I recently purchased a 01' F-150 with 133k. 8th diget W for Romeo. Long story short I spun a rod bearing on the way home. Or more like the guy put enough motor honey in it to make go away. I pulled the pan and miced the crank and it was .06 to .100 under. Looks like i picked a bad year because its very hard to find a replacement from a bone yard locally with decent mileage. To keep this project under 2K. I ether need to find a motor or rebuild the short block my self. Is there a chart or book that tells you what is compatible by year or vin number? Some bone yards say a different year with your oil pan or bolt ons will be fine. Depending on the year they say. The local LKQ said only that year will work. Or is it possible to do a short block rebuild for 2K? I will need a crank and rods. At least i know what i have going back in. Thanks for your time.

bf750

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
2. Crap
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33 1250 15
My credo
It is what it is

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Almost any year should work, with swapping the correct peripherals. Truck engines are best because the cars and vans have different exhaust manifolds, oil pans, pickup tubes, and valve covers. Almost 3 years ago a guy brought his own engine into the shop I was working at, from a van, to have put in his F-150.

I still think about hunting his ass down and killing him over that experience. I think he did it on purpose because he thought he needed a plug and coil then I told him his engine had dropped a valve.

Also watch out for the very early ones. I think the 4.6 changed bell patterns at some point.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
They got better heads in '99 so watch for that if you don't want to lose some power.

I don't know how much is different on the outside between a Windsor and a Romeo, most 4.6's are Romeos. I things around the cams and whatnot are different but...

Jolly Roger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks guys. Tell me more about that van motor? One just came available with 54k for $850. I'm waiting on a reply for the W.

Jolly Roger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'm ready to punt. Can a crank be swapped underneath the the vehicle with out the motor being pulled? Or if the trans has to pulled back some? Granted if the rod checks out ok.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I doubt it.

Probably one of things you will fight it so much if you don't do it it would have been easier to just pull the engine to start with.

Last edited:

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
The trans has to be completely removed, as does the front cover and timing sets. Keep in mind the 4.6 is an interference engine.

Other than that stuff, yeah, it is theoretically possible. But like so many other things that I term "theoretically possible" I would also put that idea in the category of "practically stupid".

And that's not "practically" as in almost, that's "practically" as in if you try this in practice.

Jolly Roger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
00' Donor?

I got a 00' donor. Shady at best. After i cleaned the fish out of the bed from last seasons ice. I could breath. Everything looks tight. Do I need to prop the cab? Pull the intake? Pull the front clip? I have a month of Sundays to make it happen before middle school football starts. Any short cuts or help will be greatly appreciated.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
It you can get the cab off completely that is the fastest. Otherwise pull the intake, stretch a chain through the valley good and tight, and rip her out.

Engine lift plate works too.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals