• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Help Identifying Wire Harness - 94 Explorer

bronco2blue

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I'm in the process of swapping my automatic transmission with a manual. While I was removing the automatic shift cables from around the engine I unplugged a wire harness. Does anyone what this connects to? It's very difficult to reach. It's right under the intake, next to the vapor canister purge valve on my 1994 Explorer XLT.

The unknown electrical connection is circled in red.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Looks like a fuel injector plug.

bronco2blue

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks. I found the other connector, but I can't reach it with my hand. I should be able to get to it with the transmission out.

bronco2blue

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I have another question now.

The automatic and manual transmission wires are pretty much the same, and are interchangeable, but the manual harness doesn't have the vapor canister purge valve connector on it and my auto harness does. How can I go about adding the vapor canister wires to the manual harness?

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Not all of them had the valve. You would have to take the wires out of the auto harness, and put them in the manual one. Lots of cutting tape.

bronco2blue

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
You're right. The 91-92 didn't have all the emissions stuff like the 93-94.

Here's a pic comparing the auto harness (left) and the manual harness (right). The two wires for the vapor canister are on the far left top and bottom row of the auto harness. Notice that the manual harness doesn't have a spot in either of those locations. Can I just solder the vapor canister wires to any open spot on the manual harness? Or will I need to get a new manual harness from a 93-94 model?

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Bypass that plug. Go to a Ford dealership, ask for the cruise control recall harness. It should cost you less than $30, it will get you a matched set of 2-pin plugs, a length of wire to solder, and a pair of fuse holder slots. You can't buy all that for the price of the part.

Solder the two connector ends to the wiring for the valve where that plug would be, then run to the computer.

And not all the 93-94 had them. I have a 94 harness in my truck with no plug for the evap valve.

bronco2blue

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Cool thanks. I didn't know Ford offered that part. So bypass the plug that goes from the fender to the vapor canister by soldering wires directly to the female plug where the vapor canister wires connected at the fender, and run them to the vapor canister pin on the ecm?

Would another option be to leave the black plug from the auto in place connected only to the vapor canister? This plug contains the neutral safety switch wires for the auto trans, but I already bypassed the NSS by jumping two wires together on the gray plug at the drivers fender. So wouldn't I be able to leave the NSS off the manual trans and plug the hole since it is bypassed?

So basically using only the part of the harness that controls the back up lights, low oil sensor, vapor canister, and the starter circuit jumper.

Last edited:

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
You leave the existing plug, that you posted pictures of, alone and just run the circuits you are interested in around it.

bronco2blue

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I want to swap in the entire manual harness for good measure. Say I had the manual harness hooked up, it has two connections on the trans and two connections by the fender. Do I run a circuit from the male end of the fender plug or the female end? The reason I ask is because the manual male fender plug doesn't have an open port in the same location as the auto for the 2 vapor canister wires.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals