• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Modifications for Electric Fan

chrisclark88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yeah I figured that, I feel bad now because people are going to get on this one thinking there is a ton of important information for the conversion, but half of it is him trying to convince himself that I am a scientist.

So however reads this I apologize for that one special individual that ruins other people's threads. If you get anything from this, I hope that you realize that if you get the proper oem fan off an engine of similar size or larger that will cool your engine just fine. Also that you may have to find a larger alternator depending on the amperage pull of the fan. Plus that a fan clutch can start to engage while the engine is still warming up. Mine started to engage while I had a 18v dewalt light over it.

McCormack

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Plus that a fan clutch can start to engage while the engine is still warming up.
If the fan is at all spinning (which it always is), then the clutch is engaged and is drawing power from the engine.

Rearanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
So however reads this I apologize for that one special individual that ruins other people's threads.
I can speak for myself. When you post on a public site it's usual to expect comments - even ones that don't fit into your opinion. If you can't handle that then I suggest associating with people who only agree with you.

If you check back on the posts you'll find you were the one who opened the discussion about people saying efans don't work. Since I have been part of those posts I clarified to say it's not that some people don't believe they work, but how much of a benefit they provide. Somehow that's viewed as blasphemy and sets off unreasoned responses. It's difficult to maintain any discussion with posters who are hyper sensitive and ultra defensive about being asked to verify claims - which by the way, may prove their own points.

As well there's nothing about being a "scientist" with trying to get accurate results. I don't know how much of your own opinions are about accepting face value statements of others, but I'll bet you, especially being from the "Show Me" state, don't accept much without some proof.

One more clarification. My use of the term 'Boy" was an exclamation not a derisive term. I could just have easily used "Wow", which would have been a better choice given that written posts can't convey inflection and when dealing with people having hair trigger defensiveness.

If you get anything from this, I hope that you realize that if you get the proper oem fan off an engine of similar size or larger that will cool your engine just fine.
That's an incomplete assumption and could lead to improper fan selection - if I can chance ruining this thread again. Fan design is not just about diameter. It's also about pitch angle and surface area and blade design and rpm. If fact no one knows the OEM fan CFM, which would make choosing the correct aftermarket at lot easier. So it's a bit of a guessing game also given that fan design is coupled with rad design to provide the correct cooling. You need to know the correct CFM. Clutch fans also are variable rpm while efans are mostly single speed, except that some can be duel fixed speed, or with more expensive controllers, have some variability.

Assessing conversions (responding to posts) is also about cost/benefit, getting it right with as little experimentation and risk as possible, and the increased potential of something going wrong given that efans have more components that could fail.

chrisclark88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ok highspeed you are always right, you know ****ing everything. Now go be I ****ing ass tard somewhere else. And for assumptions, assuming that I am from the show me state just because I am stationed here would make you just that much larger of a jackass. So now mr. I have 35 years of changing my own oil, go start your own thread and share your knowledge with people who might care and or think you know everything.

scooter

October OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic

McCormack

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
It's difficult to maintain any discussion with posters who are hyper sensitive and ultra defensive about being asked to verify....
Ultra sensitive and defensive? Exaggerate much? What's being objected to is the book-learned experts that just have to clog up threads by throwing their expert advice into the mix about things that they've never actually done for themselves, and then blaming others for the strife that they themselves are causing in the threads. Does the shoe fit?

Assessing conversions (responding to posts) is also about cost/benefit, getting it right with as little experimentation and risk as possible, and the increased potential of something going wrong given that efans have more components that could fail.
Whether the mods work out or not, doing mods to our Rangers is also about having fun, and what with worrying about fan blade pitch angles and cost/benefit ratios you sound like you're way to anal to have any fun tinkering with your truck, so why even bother participating in a forum like this? Just leave your Ranger stock and enjoy it for what it is and let those of us that like to mod our trucks, whether the mods work out or not, have our fun. Is that too much to ask?

Last edited:

fixizin

FoMoCo is forcing me to buy a 'yota
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL Spurt
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0 (Flex)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
A properly suspensioned Ranger can be safely airborne for up to 4 seconds at a time! =:O
Me, I'm just bummed that whole teams of "book-learnin" Mechanical Engineers at FoMoCo "missed" this "obvious" boost to their CAFE numbers, which they are always under pressure from mgt. to increase... esp. since they have so much experience using e-fans on this same (Vulcan) block in other Ford apps... theyz B dumb fer shure... :rolleyes:

McCormack

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Me, I'm just bummed that whole teams of "book-learnin" Mechanical Engineers at FoMoCo "missed" this "obvious" boost to their CAFE numbers, which they are always under pressure from mgt. to increase... esp. since they have so much experience using e-fans on this same (Vulcan) block in other Ford apps... theyz B dumb fer shure... :rolleyes:
A-w-w-w-w, you got your feelings hurt in another thread after being reprimanded for posting your political nonsense, so you felt the need to come over here and retaliate and mess up this thread. Poor baby. Do us all a favor and suck it up and act like an adult, OK? :rolleyes:

Last edited:

fixizin

FoMoCo is forcing me to buy a 'yota
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL Spurt
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0 (Flex)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
A properly suspensioned Ranger can be safely airborne for up to 4 seconds at a time! =:O
A-w-w-w-w, you got your feelings hurt in another thread after being reprimanded for posting your political nonsense, so you felt the need to come over here and retaliate and mess up this thread. Poor baby. Do us all a favor and suck it up and act like an adult, OK? :rolleyes:
Lulz... your ego is tiny... NOT. My "feewings" are not affected, one way or another, by ASCII char strings from complete strangers on duh interwebs. Your post here is as absurd and INCONGRUOUS as your response to my 4-YEAR OLD(!) post in evanesce69's E85 conversion thread. I note also that you completely ignored the rollicking good-natured rapport I was having with evan, the O.P.--who, BTW, is totally sympatico with me politically--or did that banter just sail clean over your head? :icon_confused:

But since you have appointed yourself as my personal troll, the 'Search' function will show you that I have a 4-year history on this site of questioning those DIYers who think they have out-engineered real engineers, e.g. undersized crankshaft pulleys, etc. I'm usually joined in this skepticism by one or more Techs, SuperMods, etc., i.e. the RKIs with the big color banners under their avatars. :icon_thumby:

As an aside, what 3rd grader died and made you Hall Monitor, with the "authori-tah" to "reprimand" other posters? You SLAY me with your nerdy self-importance. :icon_rofl:

OTOH, your insights on belt-tensioner alignment and shimming seem to have merit. How-to pics would add value to your fix, and help it achieve 'Sticky' or Tech Library status. Things like that add value to the site. Dropping out-of-phase, sanctimonious comments into 4-year old threads... not so much.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals