• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Speedometer Problems [Check here first] --->

Blown

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
2001 and up

If you can tune or get a chip burned, 2001 up OBDII allows one to adjust the speedo for tire size changes and gearing changes. You can input Tire Rev Per Mile and Gearing.

Performance is best with the right gear ratio for the size tires you run. That's another subject, but if you've done performance upgrades and changed gearing or tire size, changing the tune for those will get the most out of your rig with an automatic transmission. The tranny is shifted by the computer and will shift too late with big tires and to soon with small tires.

I've tuned my rig with a Tweecer:icon_thumby:

Spott

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Hey guys---I'm new to this forum and I've got a project I'm working on, and need some help. I bought a good 95' 4x4 Ranger body and I'm putting the engine and driveline from a 1963 F100 in it (223 CID 6--3 spd trans). The 95' has an electronic speedometer. I was wondering if you guys with a lot of Ranger knowledge would know if and earlier model (93-94) cluster will fit my dash. The PCM will be completely done away with, and I'll need the fuel, temp, voltmeter and mechanical speedometer----any advice or suggestion? Thanks, Dennis
It would be very helpful if you started a new thread, with a descriptive title, for your project. We can certainly provide help and advice, but it's best not to clutter up an existing, informational, and only loosely-related thread with discussion of your specific project.

Once you get that new thread started, I'll reply there with some questions and suggestions.

Cultofeye

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
V6 2.8l
Transmission
Manual
83 Ranger speedometer not workjng

Hey there, 83 Ranger v6 2.8 manual. Bought the truck with the Speedometer not operational. Checked the rear worm gear in transmission and seems to be working fine, any other ideas or advice? Sorry if this has been asked before

Spott

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Hey there, 83 Ranger v6 2.8 manual. Bought the truck with the Speedometer not operational. Checked the rear worm gear in transmission and seems to be working fine, any other ideas or advice? Sorry if this has been asked before
See my post above, from April 24, 2016.

Ranger Mark

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Alumni: Hard knocks F.U.
96 speedo repair.

Hope this helps someone.

96 4x2 3.0 auto. No power options. I added a cluster from a 96 explorer for the tach. Had to swap a couple of pins on the connectors so warning lights were correct. I pulled it a few times to paint gauge needles from white to orange. About a week ago it started fluctuating, a little at first then got worse. The Trans would slip and shift hard occasionally. I changed speed sensor on Trans and then the cluster. Nothing changed. I decided to trouble shoot the circuit and found my problem. Pic was taken through a magnifying glass.
2018-07-04 07.39.40.jpg

After I cleaned the wires you can clearly see the burn from arcing.
2018-07-04 07.41.30.jpg

And this is where it was located. This harness is on top of the trans and the 2 forward connectors are behind the heads.
2018-07-04 07.40.25.jpg

A couple of notes on checking for wiring issues.
Break circuits into smaller parts to isolate and rule out areas.
Disconnect things that might share a ground.
When checking continuity, you're not just looking for a good path on your wire. You're looking for a connection on a wire that shouldn't have one.

Before I got to this harness, I had my circuit divided in half and found ohms on a wire that should not have been touching mine.

In the end, I repaired the wire and the truck runs smoothly.

Derbyu02

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Hey guys, on my '94 4.0L the speedo fluctuates right off the bat & does not go over 45mph, it's also incorrectly reading speed & the overdrive kicks in & out. It worked fine before but a few months ago it did this & I noticed the pink plastic gear on the end of the VSS was worn...I replaced it & it worked fine for a couple weeks , replaced the whole VSS along with a new gear again since it was once again worn. Basically I'm wanting to know what's in the tailshaft housing , gear wise. Also, could it be an actual cable problem? Thanks!

younixguru

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
All, I had a similar issue with my daughters 98. Speedo would not work, the transmission would not shift properly etc. The rear end needed to be rebuilt. There were metal filings in there messing it up as well as the exciter ring not lining up. Had the dealership do it, 1200 bucks. Probably could have done it on my own but did not have the time. Hopefully, this helps someone else!

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
B3000
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
If you have a non working speedometer and abs light look at rear sensor or the under cab connector below drivers seat. Water intrusion inside the cab will flow down into the connector .

Ray

jack frost

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD RANGER
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
4 cylinder
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
so the speedo works fine when the truck is loaded.do you have a tac on there tader82

Me Mongo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
"Everybody has a plan until the get punched in the mouth....." Mike Tyson
I see these problems pop up all over the place so I figured I would try to consolidate the information in one place.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong or contribute to what I write here.

Problem - "The speedometer in my 1999 Ranger fluctuates or doesn't work until I hit 30MPH. What's wrong?

Answer - The 1998-2000 Rangers are not equipped with a VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor). The PCM (Powertrain Control Module) receives vehicle speed information from the antilock brake system rear wheel speed sensor. The raw signal from the ABS/VSS sensor on the rear axle goes directly to the Explorer 4WABS module where the signal is corrected for tire diameter. Then the corrected signal is sent out on the gray/black to the PCM, speed control, cluster, etc. In this system, the PCM is an end user of the corrected VSS signal.

The problem is usually found in the ABS speed sensor on top of the differential in your rear axle.

Remove the rear wheel speed sensor from the axle housing.

Connect a Digital Volt/Ohm Meter (DVOM) across the two sensor terminals and record the reading.

The reading should be between 0.8 and 1.4 k Ohms.

If not, replace the sensor.

Problem - "The speedometer on my '96 Ranger quits working sometimes."

Answer - From 1995-1997, check the VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor) on the transmission/transfercase. Could be bad.

Turn off vehicle and disconnect the VSS cable. Using a Digital Volt-Ohmmeter (DVOM), measure the resistance (DVOM ohmmeter function) between the sensor terminals on the VSS (not the cable). If the resistance is 190-250 ohms, the sensor is okay.

Problem - "The speedometer in my 1993 Ranger fluctuates. What's wrong?"

Answer - Your 1983-1994 Ranger uses a speedometer cable (mechanical). The problem could be anything from binding, worn or broken gear teeth on the speedometer gear, a worn out cable assembly or dirt/contamination causing the needle to stick.

I don't see much on the 2001 and newer Rangers with speedometer problems, they have a different set up then the 1998-2000 models. Starting in 2001, the raw speed signal from the OSS (Output Shaft Speed) sensor on the transmission goes directly to the Ranger PCM (Powertrain Control Module) where it is corrected for tire diameter and axle ratio. The PCM then outputs the corrected VSS pulse the speed control and the cluster. In this system the PCM is the correction and distribution point for the VSS signal.
I have a 2000 4x4 base model. The speedometer hasn't worked since I bought it (from out of State). When I first drove it there was no check engine showing. After driving it to work one day the check engine light came on and after putting the code reader on, it showed the speed sensor code. I changed the speed sensor on the rear diff. It still does not work. Although now it doesn't bounce around like crazy. It just winds up and pegs itself now.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals