• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

351 build alternator question

FloridaRanger89

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L going 302
Transmission
Manual
Hello, I just finished building my new 351 to drop into my 1989 Supercab 4X4 Ranger. I am about to start building my transmission in the next week and have the cab pulled and the frame freshly painted. My question is I have a new alternator, power steering pump, lines, and gearbox for the old 2.9 I want to keep I have read that they will swap over fine but the issue I have is I plan on throwing away the computer and factory wiring harness and rewire the truck completely. How can I get the alternator to work with the computer gone and the factory harness out. I know I can use a 1 wire GM alternator but there goes another $100. Anybody have any words of wisdom?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
The wiring for the 2.9 alternator is very simple. It has 3 wires, and one of them (the white/black one) goes from one post on the alternator to another post on the alternator.

Aside from that you have the Green/Red which is key switched power in to turn it on, and Black/Orange, which is power out.

If you have those three things it will work. The 2.9 alternator is internally regulated, and works independent of the rest of the vehicle electronics.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals