• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1st 302 ranger build!! All help appreciated

Jessenelms

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ok it's been a busy few days but got to work on the truck a few days and quite a bit today.
I sanded down the frame, cross members, the rearend and springs and got them painted and clear coated. I also got all my hardware for the parking brakes, new 3/8" spring plates and u-bolts.
With a little help from a jack I got the explorer springs and rearend bolted up and in place.
Next step is going to measure and make custom stainless brake line from the front to rear and to install rear calipers on the old rotors (until I get drilled and slotted for front and rear on) and get my new parking brake cables on.

Some pics till next time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

84FreakRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Looking awesome man!

Jessenelms

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks guys. Still hitting the manuals figuring out the wiring to everything. Quite the nightmare especially since I want it to have as little wires as I can. Hoping to end up looking close to this-

If any of you have any advice if would be nice.
Also, does anyone sell mount plates anymore? I'm wanting a set

Jessenelms

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So I got yo work on the truck a little today.
Got all the parking brake cables and brackets on and working properly after a little cable work and two fabricated brackets.
Also got some of the harness done. Gonna be a few days before I'll get the chance to do any work but gonna order a few parts.

prymetime1

Reaction score
Keep it coming brotha. As far as the pic above, that is a clean set up, looks like the firewall was smoothed while they were at it. The wiring for the engine can easily be done that way, you just need to take the time to tuck what's left for the engine harness for the lights, etc. Being that u want to use the stock gauges, I am thinking you'll need to get creative with the oil and tach since I think they were probably wired into the ecu for signals to guages. I'm no pro on this tho, just my thoughts when I was planning my build that I worked around. If you have a really good wire schematic you could probably take the time to make it all work.

Jessenelms

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ok guys it's been quite a while since I've done any work on the ranger. I've been getting a new business started and time and money have been tight. I just started back and I've changed the direction of my truck some what.

Jessenelms

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

This is my new fuel tank so I'm going shop truck all the way. In remembrance of my late grandpa that got me in to turning wrenches in the first place. Also going auto meter gauges to free up some wiring.

I have my block back, washed and getting ready for paint by the weekend. Picked up all the explorer brackets and a new timing cover is on the way.

Has any one used a different harmonic balancer than the stock explorer? I have a summit balancer that I got balanced with the engine and a aluminum pulley but I'm not sure it will work. Any ideas?

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
If you're thinking of converting the air tank into fuel tank, be aware there will be lots and lots of rust inside.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Jessenelms

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
No worries. It will be split open, sandblasted, baffled, and sealed before operation

Jessenelms

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Got the block, front cover and water pump primed, base coated and 1st coat of paint yesterday and today

Jessenelms

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

Lukey

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks guys. Still hitting the manuals figuring out the wiring to everything. Quite the nightmare especially since I want it to have as little wires as I can. Hoping to end up looking close to this-

If any of you have any advice if would be nice.
Also, does anyone sell mount plates anymore? I'm wanting a set

If you are comfortable with extending wires, I like to run all the engine wiring thru a piece of tubing I mount onto the frame rail to in front of the engine then bring it up between engine and alternator. Keeps all wire hidden out of sight except for my electric choke.

Jessenelms

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I do like the idea of running most of the wires where they can't be seen. I have already thought of that but just not that far yet. Thanks for the idea and where to run it for ease.

Jessenelms

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I finally got enough time to get the last few coats of paint on and personally I love the look of it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals