• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3 SOHC alternator woes, need input please

YungICY

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So I have been having the worst time when it comes to the alternator on my 85 2.3. In the 5 years that I've owned my truck (2 of which it was under construction and pushed off to the side) I have been through like 6 or 7 alternators that have all failed in 1 way only.

The style of mount I have (pictured here) I believe to be the culprit.

The issue seems to be that I have to pull the alternator so tight against the belt to keep it from squealing (and yes I've replaced the belt several times) that it puts too much strain on the bearings in the alternator and wears them out prematurely. The latest one lasted maybe a month and is now starting to go out once more.

What options to I have for putting a different style mount/ alternator on my truck or are there any tips/tricks to solving this issue.
And simply because more info is better, the truck only has water pump and alt ran on one belt. No p/s and no a/c.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
What I found is this for belt layout: http://i.fixya.net/uploads/images/2_15_2012_2_17_25_pm.jpg

So alternator(upper right) has a good wrap around for belt grip, looks like more than a 50% wrap with no P/S pump, as shown in drawing

The squealing is probably coming from another pulley so either it has a bearing issue(too hard to spin) or the pulley surface is Glazed.

Whenever you hear fan belt squeal that means a pulley is being Glazed, it is getting a shiny smooth surface from fan belt slipping at that spot, Glazed area is like ICE to a fan belt.
New fan belt will also start to squeal when it hits the Gazed spots over time.

So when replacing fan belt that was squealing you also need to rough up the pulley surfaces.
Use scotch brite, emory cloth or other abrasive on pulley surfaces, to get rid of glazing

Also paint can provide a good grip for the belt, so painting the pulley surfaces it a good idea, smooth metal does NOT provide a good grip for the belt.

Friction is the only way a fan belt can work, it doesn't have teeth like timing belt does.

Clean and paint crank pulley belt surface, it looks like the most likely place to squeal, with just water pump and alternator accessories.

And putting on a P/S pulley, just the pulley, would be a good option, that long distance and angle from the alternator to the crank would make belt tension high on alternator adjustment

YungICY

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks Ron. As always, good info. I always thought it was the belt itself glazing over but that makes perfect sense that it would be a pulley and probably not the alt pulley. When I put this last alt on I also replaced the belt with it and it didn't squeal at all for a week or two then all of the sudden squealed like crazy so it definitely makes sense for it to be one of the other pulleys causing an issue.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
You might want to check your water pump. If it's bearing is failing, that might be the pulley that is squealing. There is no reason that you should have to tighten the belt so much that it damages bearings. With 50 percent wrap on the alternator pulley, it should be last pulley to slip.

Eric B

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
I had the exact same setup on my 1988 2.0 and it squealed like a pig...:)

I even replaced the alternator and that one squealed worse than the other so I took it back and tried belt dressing...that actually helped but may have been the lube I sprayed on the tension roller...

I've heard the belt dressing doesn't work and soap only makes it slip worse...so you might try RonD's suggestion and clean the pulleys up...certainly won't hurt.

I never actually did clean the pulleys myself but it is recommended more than belt dressing so try cleaning first...if that doesn't work then it may be bearings on the water pump or other if you have power steering or A/C.

YungICY

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yeah I'm definitely going with sanding the pulleys first. The water pump was replaced when I rebuilt this motor roughly 4k miles ago so it's unlikely that the bearing is going out but if sanding doesn't help than that will be the next suspect.

And I don't think it's the alternator pulley itself squealing but pulling the alternator tighter pulls the belt tighter against the other pulleys that are squealing main suspect being the water pump that gets less than 25% wrap.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
One thing I forgot to ask about was the Fan clutch, are you using one?

And is it working as it should, not on full lock up?

Direct drive fan, no clutch, might cause the squealing because water pump fan belt contact is not that much, so the added force needed for fan blades could be an issue.

YungICY

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yeah I'm using a factory style clutch fan. I don't believe it's locked but but I'll need to verify for sure.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals