• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

My 89 Bronco II Choptop project...

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Thinking about doing the 4.0 too...i have 80,000 on my 2.9 though and am wondering if it would be worth all the work? What do you think?

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
The older trucks are where it gets ugly. I know because I tried going down that road. My 88 Eddie Bauer had a 2.9 that ate a valve around 110k miles and I had the "bright" idea at the time of swapping in a 4.0 to replace the "ticking time bomb." Well... Fitting it in and bolting it up wasn't much of an issue. Wiring it up to work, was. I was not able to come up with good wiring diagrams for my truck and for the harness I had and I was not able to get an extra set of hands to help me trace stuff. Arguably, I was also a bit more inexperienced with working in vehicle harnesses. Long story short, it sat uncompleted for a long time.

Putting the 4.0 in an 89 or newer turns out to be a LOT easier, especially if you can get a donor harness from an early 90's Ranger. I only had to splice a handful of wires and I was actually able to build an adapter plug set with ease. So I yanked the 4.0 out of the 88, and put it in my 89, where I needed it. The 2.9 from the 89 is getting some mods (headers, free floating rocker arm assembly, port matching, MAF, etc) and going in the 88, for simplicity sake. I don't plan to do any substantial lifting to my 88, it's mostly going to be a slightly modified toy to run around town in, so I have no need for any more power that a somewhat modified 2.9 will put out, so it works for me.

Now, that said, if you really want to do the swap in your 86 and don't want to have to splice every wire in the harness on the drivers side, there is another potential solution. It involves pulling the dash, but it can be done. The solution is to either swap the entire dash and wiring harness out of an 89-92 RBV, or to pull the dash apart and swap just the dash wiring harness. This gives you the correct plugs (if you take the dash harness from the donor truck with the 4.0), or a nearly correct set of plugs. It's more work than I had to do on my choptop, but for a lifted truck like yours (which sounds pretty similar to my choptop), IMHO, it's well worth it. To get more performance out of your truck, your other options are to mod the 2.9, change the gear ratio to something deeper (4.88 or 5.13), or to do a 5.0 swap (easiest for the older trucks without getting into major wiring is to go with a carbed motor).

Harley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford bronco 2
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5.5 in susp 2 in body
Tire Size
35 1250
The older trucks are where it gets ugly. I know because I tried going down that road. My 88 Eddie Bauer had a 2.9 that ate a valve around 110k miles and I had the "bright" idea at the time of swapping in a 4.0 to replace the "ticking time bomb." Well... Fitting it in and bolting it up wasn't much of an issue. Wiring it up to work, was. I was not able to come up with good wiring diagrams for my truck and for the harness I had and I was not able to get an extra set of hands to help me trace stuff. Arguably, I was also a bit more inexperienced with working in vehicle harnesses. Long story short, it sat uncompleted for a long time.

Putting the 4.0 in an 89 or newer turns out to be a LOT easier, especially if you can get a donor harness from an early 90's Ranger. I only had to splice a handful of wires and I was actually able to build an adapter plug set with ease. So I yanked the 4.0 out of the 88, and put it in my 89, where I needed it. The 2.9 from the 89 is getting some mods (headers, free floating rocker arm assembly, port matching, MAF, etc) and going in the 88, for simplicity sake. I don't plan to do any substantial lifting to my 88, it's mostly going to be a slightly modified toy to run around town in, so I have no need for any more power that a somewhat modified 2.9 will put out, so it works for me.

Now, that said, if you really want to do the swap in your 86 and don't want to have to splice every wire in the harness on the drivers side, there is another potential solution. It involves pulling the dash, but it can be done. The solution is to either swap the entire dash and wiring harness out of an 89-92 RBV, or to pull the dash apart and swap just the dash wiring harness. This gives you the correct plugs (if you take the dash harness from the donor truck with the 4.0), or a nearly correct set of plugs. It's more work than I had to do on my choptop, but for a lifted truck like yours (which sounds pretty similar to my choptop), IMHO, it's well worth it. To get more performance out of your truck, your other options are to mod the 2.9, change the gear ratio to something deeper (4.88 or 5.13), or to do a 5.0 swap (easiest for the older trucks without getting into major wiring is to go with a carbed motor).
Yea,thats my thoughts too...i might just get a vehicle to tow my trailer instead of worrying about getting the bigger engine for mine..i dont mund the 2.9 really...it runs great with the 4.10s and 33s. ..i have a new 8.8 rear end with a LS and 4.56s ready to go in and am hoping to get a little more out of it. Its fine once its moving but the clutch takes a beating right now with the 35s...thanks for the reply, always good to ask someone who's been down that road...lol

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Yea,thats my thoughts too...i might just get a vehicle to tow my trailer instead of worrying about getting the bigger engine for mine..i dont mund the 2.9 really...it runs great with the 4.10s and 33s. ..i have a new 8.8 rear end with a LS and 4.56s ready to go in and am hoping to get a little more out of it. Its fine once its moving but the clutch takes a beating right now with the 35s...thanks for the reply, always good to ask someone who's been down that road...lol

I have a vehicle I can use to tow my choptop if I want to take it out and play, but I had built the truck with the intention of it being a streetable mild wheeler. Interestingly enough, with the FM-146 trans, it would take off and go without really beating on it for first through third. Fourth was where it fell flat on it's face. Boom. No power. If you beat on it in fourth, it would get up to highway speed and stay there but overdrive was about useless. It was ok like that for around town, but it sucked on the highway. I started seriously kicking around the idea of doing a 4.0 swap after doing a 200 mile run on the highway. That was kind of the last straw.

It seemed to be ok when I ran 33" tires on it, but after upgrading to a D-35 front and putting the 35's on, it started dogging too much to be very enjoyable. With the 4.0, it runs really strong in first through third, and pulls pretty good through fourth. Overdrive has become useful and I can now use cruise control. I haven't done any long highway runs yet since the swap, but the one road I've started running on lately has a several mile stretch with a 55 mph speed limit and I've been known to cruise it in O/D now that I can. I've been going that way since before the 4.0 swap, so it was a real thrill to run it with the 4.0 and see just what a difference it made.

Harley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford bronco 2
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5.5 in susp 2 in body
Tire Size
35 1250
Yep...4th is weak and 5th is useless...lol. i hope the 456s will be enough to make a difference.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
So the 4.0L was nice while it lasted... despite porting the heads and doing new top end gaskets with a 180* thermostat and all, something popped and it's burning coolant. So it gets parked until I can either find a replacement 4.0 or rebuild a 4.0, which will hopefully happen sometime next year. It's always something. Apparently this truck does not like the engines I've been running in it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals