• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Random shut down problems

JKTrowbridge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hi everyone. I've got a 99 ranger with the 4.0 v6. It starts up and drives fine for 20-25 minutes, then it starts to chug and mildly knock before finally stalling and shutting down. The oil pressure gauge wigs out in it and isn't a reliable source of information. Has anyone else had a problem like this?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

Does it restart right away or is there a No Start for a period of time?

If there is a no start then I would get a can of Quick Start(ether in a spray can), and a screw driver.
After engine stalls and won't restart, remove the large air tube on the front of upper intake and spray some ether into the intake.
Now try to start engine.
If it starts and then dies you will know Fuel flow is the problem
If it still doesn't start then you will know Spark is the problem.
50/50 test

Does the fuel level in the gas tank matter?

Have you changed the fuel filter?
If not then I would do that, should be changed every 5 years or so
In frame rail under drivers seat area

Loosen the gas cap and drive it that way past the 25minute mark
The gas tank has an EVAP system that sucks the air out of the tank when driving, if too much negative pressure builds up then fuel pump can't push any more fuel out.

Could be fuel pump is dying, warming up and quitting.
Any time you turn the key from off to on you can hear the fuel pump run for 2 seconds.
Try this, radio off roll down the window, turn on the key, you should hear a hum for 2 seconds, that's the fuel pump, repeat as many times as you want until you are sure you can hear it, this doesn't hurt anything.

Next time engine stalls do that same test, key off to key on, see if you can hear the fuel pump.

HER2702

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Manual
Ok, this is way out there but it happened to my 94. Check the wires at the evap solenoid. Mine had rubbed the frame near the inner fenderwell. It would intermittently ground out and kill the engine.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals