• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Possible electrical problem?

Ihavearanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hey guys, sorry if this is the wrong place for this. I just bought a 1993 Ranger Splash 4.0 auto 2wd. I can drive it back and forth to work every day, which is 30 minutes 1 way. However, if I try to drive 45 minutes or more, the truck will die and then when I crank it up, it'll idle like poo, and if I give it any gas, it does almost immediately. I was wondering if anyone had any idea what this could be? The guy I bought it from says it's something in the wiring harness, but I've looked all over for a new wiring harness, so if anyone knows where I could get a new one, lemme know. Thanks in advance.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

I reads like fuel pressure issue.

Does the fuel level in the tank matter?

I would spend the $10 and install a new fuel filter, in the frame rail under drivers seat, if it hasn't been changed.

There is a longshot chance that the EVAP system(sucks air out of fuel tank) is causing too much negative pressure in the tank, so after the 30 minutes of driving the fuel pump can't pump as much fuel out so less and less pressure at the injectors until engine dies.
Loosen gas cap, so tank is not sealed, air tight, and drive it that way, for 45min.
You should get a CEL(check engine light) with gas cap loose, that would be correct response from computer if EVAP system is working as it should.

Ihavearanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Welcome to TRS :)

I reads like fuel pressure issue.

Does the fuel level in the tank matter?

I would spend the $10 and install a new fuel filter, in the frame rail under drivers seat, if it hasn't been changed.

There is a longshot chance that the EVAP system(sucks air out of fuel tank) is causing too much negative pressure in the tank, so after the 30 minutes of driving the fuel pump can't pump as much fuel out so less and less pressure at the injectors until engine dies.
Loosen gas cap, so tank is not sealed, air tight, and drive it that way, for 45min.
You should get a CEL(check engine light) with gas cap loose, that would be correct response from computer if EVAP system is working as it should.
Thanks for the welcome!
The fuel level doesn't matter, it's done it with a full tank, and a quarter tank.
The fuel filter is brand new, and so is the pump.
I'll give the gas cap trick a try when I leave work today. Thanks for the advice!

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
One other thing I would do, test fuel pressure after engine dies, but the easy way.

On the fuel rail, where injectors attach, you will see a Schrader valve, looks like a tire's air valve because that is what it is, will usually have a cap on it just like a tire valve's cap.
Often on passenger side.

After starting engine cold, shut engine off.
Pop hood and remove cap on schrader valve.
Have a towel handy, press on center pin, just like letting air out of a tire.
There should be 35psi of pressure in there so it can squirt quite far, so be careful.
This will give you an idea of what normal pressure should be.

If you have a pressure gauge then even better, test pressure.

After driving and engine stalls do the same test BEFORE trying to restart, but be very very careful as exhaust will be HOT and you do not want gas to get on HOT exhaust pipes.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals