• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Parking Lights Acting Weird

KYRangerDude

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
This happened quite suddenly. My park lights come on when I turn the ignition on and stay on until I turn the ignition off. Not a big issue I guess, but if a short or something is causing it, I need to locate it. Any ideas of where to start looking?

KYRangerDude

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Thinking someone out there would have some idea. I've googled and yahoo'd attempting to see if anyone else has/had this issue. Should I start at the light switch or ignition switch? or fuse panel? My main concern is a short and afraid of burning my truck.

KYRangerDude

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Does anyone know where I can find a wiring diagram for my 92 ranger? I've got a haynes but I can't understand it and it doesn't specifically say its for a 92, it says 1990...I'm presuming that its the same for a 92, but it's too complicated for me....lol just basically needing to know where parking and dash lights get their power and if it comes thru or routes from the ignition. I've got a tester and planning on tracing out the wiring to see why my park and dash lights come on when I turn the key on.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
Aftermarket radio? If so, that's where I'd start looking.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
Aftermarket radio? If so, that's where I'd start looking.
:iamwithstupid:
I've seen that happen before.

If something is powering your lights with the key on, then your lights will also be feeding power into whatever the problem is with the key off. Try leaving the key off turn the lights on and see if anything comes on that shouldnt.

KYRangerDude

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
OEM radio had been screwed up by the previous owner, finally got it wired back up correctly. Dash lights still come on when key is turned on. Guy at advanced auto said it could be a short in the instrument cluster. I attempted to remove it yesterday and couldn't. Got to the point where I was to reach up in the dash and unhook some kind of clip. I'm guessing the speedometer, but either my hands are too big or I wasn't going up in the right place...anyhows...unless there was something obvious I could see on the cluster I wouldn't know what I was looking at anyways.

I guess there is a question in the above, but I have another question....My RPM gauge isn't working right...as soon as I start the engine...it goes to around 3200, and as I'm driving it's around 4K....anyway to check RPM gauge without removing cluster? or bypass the RPM gauge and install another one somewhere else? or...just not worry about it? Obviously it's not running at those numbers...but it just aggrivates me that something isn't working correctly.

And....could all this be related? Dash lights coming on, RPM not working right? The other gauges appear to be working. I might add that until I got to messing around in the fuse panel, the dome light, and the light on the rear exterior of the cab stayed on all the time. The previous owner had removed the fuse...I didn't do anything in the fuse panel except pull out fuses to check and re-insert.

And...the parking lights used to come on when I turned the key on, but after messing in the fuse panel they quit coming on when I started engine. Like I said...I didn't do anything in the fuse panel except remove and re-insert fuses..so that issue may return at some point.

I bought a tester to check wiring, but after getting it, I can't figure out how to use it. I know...forest gump syndrome...but hell, even he had a shrimp boat...I don't!

KYRangerDude

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Never mind....I went out just now to go get some breakfast...and everything was working correctly...RPM, no dash lights on, radio works....It must have been the loose and bad wiring on the radio.....it even idles better!

CSyd77

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/1993
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 V6/3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
got the same kinda problem with my truck, only its with the brake sensor...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals