• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

dead battery

jmarshall

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XL
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have a bad wire issue.
my battery will go down in a few hours after a full charge but no lights are left on.
i have replaced the battery, alternator, terminals, battery cables, starter wire, diode.
the other day my voltmeter quit working and about two hours later the rest of the guages went. when i pull the neg off the battery and hook up a test light it lights up and two fuses are to blame #1 and #5. im thinking ignitioin wire but dont know for sure.

has anyone had this problem before if so please help

1994 Ranger XL 4X4 4.0

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
If you disconnect those two fuses and it dont show a short on the pos battery terminal you know the circuits to trace. A direct short will either blow a fuse or fry a wire. You can test the computer relay if you still have power to the computer with the key off that will drain the battery rather quick. Try pulling that relay and see if the battery stops draining. I believe it is next to the fuel pump relay and the fuel pump relay will do the same thing running with the engine off.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Maybe check for power to the coil with the key off just throwing stuff out there.

jmarshall

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XL
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
update i replaced the starter and it started charging again weird huh anyway about ten min into the drive the wires burnt up melting my neg battery post

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Did you test for shorts. Did you check the charging system before running it. Just because the battery was new don`t mean its good. Maybe a mechanic is in order.

jmarshall

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XL
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
update 2 its charging but the battery cable melted on the manafold and shorted then caught fire. its at a shop getting fixed now

jmarshall

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XL
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
update 3

shop mech has no idea why its not charging still (i thought it was charging read voltmeter wrong) now every thing in the charging system is new

jmarshall

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XL
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
yeahhhhh i got it fixed.....
it was the pigtail that plugs into the alternator i ran a key on hot wire to the brown wire and she started charging

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals