• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Transmission ID and can I swap?

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Got a bit of a head scratcher here. I've been around long enough to know to check the tech library. I did, it didn't help.

1999 Ford Ranger XLT Extended Cab 4x4 W/ 4.0L Auto and factory tow package.

According to the chart in the tech library my truck should have a 5R55E due to being a "1998-2011 4.0L Ranger". Per the chart in the tech library my door sticker would agree with this as it has "D" for transmission code.

Several years ago I had the transmission rebuild by a very good, very experienced local shop. When I got the truck back and looked at the receipt it had 4R55E on the receipt. I asked at the time because even then I thought it had the 5R transmission, but they assured me that it was definitely a 4R trans. Those guys are good at what they do and it was working good so I thought no more about it.

The same transmission ID article also shows the bolt pattern for the transmission pans. I was just under the truck an hour ago for some other work and the pan definitely has 18 bolts as shown for the 4R transmission.

What's going on with my truck? Could someone have swapped in a 4R55E in the past and it still function right "missing a gear"?

Is the tech library wrong about pan bolts and 5R55E have same pan as the 4R55E? (<< my guess) Is it wrong about trans code and they were still installing the 4R in 99 (06/99 build date)?

If it is a 5R55E and trans shop rebuilt it as a 4R55E, would/could that cause any issues that aren't throwing a code? I never drove the truck when it was new and it was rebuilt due to wear and slipping. As I found out not long after buying it, the previous sucked at maintaining it, so I didn't really have a good baseline to compare before and after rebuild. Closest I can get is my dad's '02 4.0L 4x4, it always had a firmer shift, but it's also newer with a different engine and different tuning.

On similar note if my truck did somehow come with a 4R in '99, would it be possible to swap in a 5R and have it work right?

I'll probably be installing a new engine next year (please don't ask) so it would be the ideal time to swap in the correct transmission or upgrade to a better one.

Thanks!

Last edited:

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
What trans code is on the door tag? T is 4R, D is 5R
Obviously that only tells you how it started though.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
"D" code

It was in the first post:

1999 Ford Ranger XLT Extended Cab 4x4 W/ 4.0L Auto and factory tow package.

According to the chart in the tech library my truck should have a 5R55E due to being a "1998-2011 4.0L Ranger". Per the chart in the tech library my door sticker would agree with this as it has "D" for transmission code.
Door code says 5R. Chart says 5R.

Pan bolt pattern says 4R. Transmission shop said 4R.

I guess I'm looking for any other indicators that would say for sure that this is a 4R or a 5R. Also if it is a 5R did the transmission shop mess up anything by rebuilding it as a 4R?

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
Crap. Sorry, I was doing two things at once and not paying enough attention.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
The internal differences between the 4R and 5R are very minimal. The fun part of automatic transmissions is that you can add gears just by changing when, what, and how many things inside the trans are applied. Which means you can possibly turn a 4 speed auto into a 5 speed just by changing the software.

The trans you have is correct for the computer, of you would have lights and confusion aplenty.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
what he said. the 5R55E is basically the same as 4R55E. if you examine the gear ratios you can see where engaging overdrive while in 1st gives you the "new" 2nd gear in between the old 1st and 2nd. that's done with the electronics/software.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
what he said. the 5R55E is basically the same as 4R55E. if you examine the gear ratios you can see where engaging overdrive while in 1st gives you the "new" 2nd gear in between the old 1st and 2nd. that's done with the electronics/software.
Yeah, with just a simple planetary you can make 6 gears, including reverse overdrive. IIRC the 4R/5R series has two, so it is easy to make extra gears just by adding extra shift points.

planeflyer21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, with just a simple planetary you can make 6 gears, including reverse overdrive. IIRC the 4R/5R series has two, so it is easy to make extra gears just by adding extra shift points.
Well that's interesting.

How about an extra-high overdrive and super low granny gear sub-1st?:popcorn:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals