• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Questions about airbags and sensors

fr7

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I couldn't find the right place for this thread so I just picked this one, if there's one where this should go please move it for me.
So we've been having a lot of rain out here and roads are bad. I was driving on the gravel on my way home, I hit a huge patch of mud, lost control and went in the ditch and hit the bank. It really didn't damage much, basically just the bumper got smashed, I wasn't going that fast, maybe 20-25 mph when I hit the ditch, but evidently it was fast enough to deploy the airbags. I managed to get the truck out of the ditch and drove it back 5 miles to our shop.
I'm gonna replace the bumper, but the real question is, what all do I need to replace besides the airbags? Would I need the front impact sensors too? Also, is there a certain procedure to follow like to reset the airbag dash light, etc? I know have the battery disconnected before I start anything, I know how to remove the one on the steering wheel since I've done it before to replace cruise control buttons, but I'm not sure about the passenger side. Any advice is appreciated, I'd like to know what all I need to buy before I go to the junkyard. Thanks guys..

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
You need to replace any pyrotechnic device that deployed, along with the module. Then you can run codes and see if any sensors need replacing, but they should probably get done anyway.

fr7

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So I just got done replacing a bunch of stuff in my truck, including whole front everything, grille, bumper, etc. When I had everything apart I think I figured out why the airbags went puff at such slow speed. The old bumper was missing all the brackets and was just spot welded to the chassis, so it was basically the shell and it was flimsy. When I hit the ditch it bent the bumper and it smashed and cut one of the wires coming out of the sensors. I assume that's what happened since the sensors are intact. I replaced everything that needed replaced but still have the airbag dash light, so I need to work on that yet. Another thing, I don't seem to be able to get the driver's side airbag in the correct spot, it keeps honking every time I hit bumps, it's quite annoying. If I can't figure it out I'm just gonna unplug the honker I guess.. if anybody has any ideas please let me know..

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Those honkers are important every once in a while. Not everyone pays attention to fingers. :D

Sorry I don't have any useful advice on this. But I have a few minutes to do a Google search.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
You could check out this video I found. His truck is a couple years newer, but this might get you in the ballpark. He gives a list of airbag trouble codes in the comments under the video.

Good Luck to you.

fr7

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks. I'm gonna check it out and see if I can figure it out. I haven't had a chance to mess with the honker yet, I'll try doing it this weekend..

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
If you didn't replace the module that is the problem. If you did replace it but didn't get it programmed that is the problem. If you did all both of those, get the codes checked. You may have blown a pre-tensioner and not even known it.

fr7

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I replaced it but I didn't know it needed to be programmed. How you do that? Do I have to take it to a shop or what? I just don't want to mess with it without knowing what I'm doing and blow the damn things again. Thanks for the info..

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals