• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

MAF Cleaning

TeamExploder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV+SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
What do ya'll use for cleaning your MAF? I've heard of special stuff you can buy, then heard of a special Alcohol and also heard of using brake parts cleaner, and possibly WD-40 because its also a water repellent or something. So what do you use for cleaning your MAF?

bergz0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
leveling kit
Tire Size
31x10.50x15
maf cleaning

i heard u can use seafoam

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic

shadetree

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Explorer Sport
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Q-tip and denatured alcohol. Gently and carefully massage the sensor. shady

shadetree

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Explorer Sport
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic

Nullifier

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
any electronics cleaner will work. You can pick up a can at circuit city, radio shack probably wall mart or target as well.

TeamExploder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV+SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
I used just a q-tip before but I don't think It cleaned as good as it could.

Yellowsplash

U.S. Military - Active
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
This is what you want to use to clean your MAF. You can find this at your local advance auto parts or auto zone. Costs roughly $5-6 a can and wont hurt the airflow element like carb cleaner potentially can. Just clean it every oil change to keep your vehicle running top notch.:3gears:

shadetree

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Explorer Sport
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
If you use sprays to clean the MAF, make sure it is unplugged. Pressurized sprays can generate very high static electrical charges, as high as 6k volts in some cases. This is one reason why these type sprays are not recommended. shady

Last edited:

BlaineM

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If you use sprays to clean the MAF, make sure it is unplugged. Pressurized sprays can generate very high static electrical charges, as high as 6k volts in some cases. This is why these type sprays are not recommended. shady
:huh: I don't get it. What creates the static charge? The contents of the can decompressing? Does the charge build up on the can? Do you mean there is danger of the charge jumping to the MAF sensor and damaging it or the control module?

shadetree

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Explorer Sport
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
:huh: I don't get it. What creates the static charge? The contents of the can decompressing? Does the charge build up on the can? Do you mean there is danger of the charge jumping to the MAF sensor and damaging it or the control module?
I was made aware of this phenomina during electronics training in dealing with microprocessors. You would be surprised at the number of things that create what is termed static electricity, and the amount of voltage involved. Rubbing a balloon on your arm, then using it to raise the hair on your arm requires about 100,000 volts.

Generating static electricity involves the separation of charged particles(protons/neutrons) that are around us everywhere. Dissimilar materials, fluid thru a pipe, etc., can cause this separation.

Static charges can have very high voltages, and much of the time, high currents. The reason they don't kill us is because the discharge only lasts in the billionths of a second. But with electronic devices, it is a different story. This is enough time to completely destroy entire circuits. If these static charges get back into the auto's computer, it could be disasterous. shady

Last edited:

TeamExploder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV+SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Good info there ^^

BlaineM

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
OK, I'm aware of the behaviour of static charge (like every fifth grade science student).
Where does the charge build up when cleaning a MAF sensor with spray? And why is it any more dangerous than the guzillion other static charge producing moving parts around your vehicle?

shadetree

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Explorer Sport
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
OK, I'm aware of the behaviour of static charge (like every fifth grade science student).
I doubt very seriously that a fifth grader understands the complexity of static electricity as many scientists are bewildered by the phenomenon.
Where does the charge build up when cleaning a MAF sensor with spray?
I don't want to get into the theory here, you can do a web search for that. Here is a hint:

PROJECT 2 - Bending water
What you need:
a hard rubber or plastic comb, or a balloon
a sink and water faucet.
What to do:
Turn on the faucet so that the water runs out in a small, steady stream, about 1/8 inch thick.
Charge the comb by running it through long, dry hair several times or rub it vigorously on a sweater.
Slowly bring the comb near the water and watch the water "bend."
This project can also be done using a balloon instead of the comb.
What happened: The neutral water was attracted to the charged comb, and moved towards it.

Liquid movement thru a tube, and sometimes the atmosphere causes a separation of the charged particles, just like walking across a carpet, especially if the liquid is moving at high speed.
And why is it any more dangerous than the guzillion other static charge producing moving parts around your vehicle?
Because it is applied directly to the sensor. A static charge does nothing as long as it is static (not moving). Only when there is particle separation does a condition exist for particle movement. shady

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals