• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

power windows and locks (1st gen)

liamkeough88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
hello there,
i found some good doors off a 2nd gen with power windows and locks and put them on my 1st gen that had manual everything.
went back to junk yard few days later to grab control module and all the needed wiring attachments but the truck was gone. Called ford to get control module and they told me the wiring for all the power windows and locks feeds straight into the main harness.
Is there a kit or something i can use to wire this all up? is there no standard relay's or a control module used to power these things? Was hoping to get these things on and goin but its looking like a wiring nightmare
thanks
Liam

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
You got the two power doors complete? It can be done, and I might have a diagram that I'll have to find. What wiring do you have with the new doors?

liamkeough88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
the doors are complete. the doors have a bundle of wires coming out with a connection fitting on the end (figured this just went into a relay and power source). just want driver control of both windows and power locks as well as typical passenger control . (the doors do have speakers in them but i am not worried about the wires for them
liam

Last edited:

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
the doors are complete. the doors have a bundle of wires coming out with a connection fitting on the end (figured this just went into a relay and power source).
There's another wiring harness on each side, that plugs into the doors' wires and runs up front to the main wiring harness at the radiator support.
It would make for a lot easier and cleaner of an installation if you can get these wiring harnesses, and at least the mating plugs for them in the front from the front body harness.

just want driver control of both windows and power locks as well as typical passenger control . (the doors do have speakers in them but i am not worried about the wires for them
liam
Both doors complete give you the two window motors, both window switches, and the two lock actuators and both lock switches. The rest is just wiring and power connections; there are no relays or control modules involved.

Sounds like you have second generation doors; can you get me the model year of the doors? See if you can make out the build date or VIN from the sticker on the driver's door.

liamkeough88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i believe they are from a 92 extended cab. i can get u the vin.. maybe later 2nite.
thanks

liamkeough88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
vin off the donor door reads 1FTCR14U5MPA81855

Last edited:

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Should be 17 characters; there's probably an "F" after the first "1". But the VIN indicates that the doors are 1991 model. I'll see what I can put together for you tonight. Going into a 1988 chassis, right?

liamkeough88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
yeah its 1F.. lol and they are going into 88 standard cab.
thanks again

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
OK, I'll try to walk you through it.

You're going be mounting the doors, and running the wiring harness from each door up through the fenders (from your original description, I'm assuming that you unplugged the door harnesses from the donor, and thus have about 4 feet of harness coming out of each door).

Once you have the two harness in the front corners of the engine compartment, you basically will be adding new wires to fill the gap between the two harnesses, and making the following wiring connections. Note that there are a couple of wire color differences, depending on whether the doors are 1991 or 1992 units.

And, I'm assuming that you'll be cutting the connectors off the end of the door harnesses, and just splicing your wires wire-to-wire. If you can get the mating connectors, it would better, but direct-splicing will work.

#1- Reconnecting two wires for the passenger window motor-
Tan/L Blue to Tan/L Blue; and White/Yellow to White/Yellow (1991)
OR
Yellow/Black to Yellow/Black; and Red/Black to Red/Black (1992)

#2- Reconnecting the two doorlock switch wires-
Pink/Yellow to Pink/Yellow; and Pink/L Green to Pink/L Green

#3- Reconnecting the two doorlock motor wires-
Pink/Black to Pink/Black; and Pink/Orange to Pink/Orange

#4- Connect the ground wires coming out of the driver side door harness to ground. You can crimp them into a ring terminal and screw it to the inner fender if you'd like. There should be two Black wires, one for windows and one for locks. Ground both.
There aren't any ground wires on the passenger side door harness.

#5- Window power-
There should be a L Blue/Black wire on both sides. These two wires need to be connected together, and then continued on to switched power. The original power source on the '88 for power windows was a 20A circuit breaker at position 14 in the fuse box behind the driver's dash. Even on a non-power truck, position 14 should have one set of contacts (the hot side). Run your extended L Blue/Black wire into cab, connect it to an inline fuse holder with a 20A fuse, then crimp a spade terminal on the remaining fuse holder end, and plug the spade into these contacts.

#6- Locks power-
On both sides there should be a Black/White wire. Same drill as window power- these two wires need connecting to each other, and then an added length of wire to go to the power source. On this one, you have choice, since locks need contant power (not switched). You can either run the wire into the cab with your windows power lead, and find a constant power source; or, you can pull power from the battery wire at the starter relay (which is how the factory locks are powered). Just be sure to use a fuse holder, with a 20A fuse.

That might look like a lot of work and wiring, but it's really not that difficult or complicated.

This older post might help you, although it's for '92 doors onto an '89 Ranger:
http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12424
I'm sorry, but I didn't save an original file of the drawing. Otherwise I could have just sketched in the details for your '88 connections. The drawing was done for the power conversion on an '89, and there are differences in the power connection points.

Good luck, man.

Last edited:

liamkeough88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
wow..
that sounds like exactly what i was looking for, thanks so much for taking the time to pass the info on to me.
ive got a few other things going on with the truck at the moment but i will post the results on here when i get to it!
thanks again
Liam

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
You're welcome. Just do it when you're ready, take your time on the installation, and do let us know how it turns out. Good luck!

jasongind

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
OK, I'll try to walk you through it.

You're going be mounting the doors, and running the wiring harness from each door up through the fenders (from your original description, I'm assuming that you unplugged the door harnesses from the donor, and thus have about 4 feet of harness coming out of each door).

Once you have the two harness in the front corners of the engine compartment, you basically will be adding new wires to fill the gap between the two harnesses, and making the following wiring connections. Note that there are a couple of wire color differences, depending on whether the doors are 1991 or 1992 units.

And, I'm assuming that you'll be cutting the connectors off the end of the door harnesses, and just splicing your wires wire-to-wire. If you can get the mating connectors, it would better, but direct-splicing will work.

#1- Reconnecting two wires for the passenger window motor-
Tan/L Blue to Tan/L Blue; and White/Yellow to White/Yellow (1991)
OR
Yellow/Black to Yellow/Black; and Red/Black to Red/Black (1992)

#2- Reconnecting the two doorlock switch wires-
Pink/Yellow to Pink/Yellow; and Pink/L Green to Pink/L Green

#3- Reconnecting the two doorlock motor wires-
Pink/Black to Pink/Black; and Pink/Orange to Pink/Orange

#4- Connect the ground wires coming out of the driver side door harness to ground. You can crimp them into a ring terminal and screw it to the inner fender if you'd like. There should be two Black wires, one for windows and one for locks. Ground both.
There aren't any ground wires on the passenger side door harness.

#5- Window power-
There should be a L Blue/Black wire on both sides. These two wires need to be connected together, and then continued on to switched power. The original power source on the '88 for power windows was a 20A circuit breaker at position 14 in the fuse box behind the driver's dash. Even on a non-power truck, position 14 should have one set of contacts (the hot side). Run your extended L Blue/Black wire into cab, connect it to an inline fuse holder with a 20A fuse, then crimp a spade terminal on the remaining fuse holder end, and plug the spade into these contacts.

#6- Locks power-
On both sides there should be a Black/White wire. Same drill as window power- these two wires need connecting to each other, and then an added length of wire to go to the power source. On this one, you have choice, since locks need contant power (not switched). You can either run the wire into the cab with your windows power lead, and find a constant power source; or, you can pull power from the battery wire at the starter relay (which is how the factory locks are powered). Just be sure to use a fuse holder, with a 20A fuse.

That might look like a lot of work and wiring, but it's really not that difficult or complicated.

This older post might help you, although it's for '92 doors onto an '89 Ranger:
http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12424
I'm sorry, but I didn't save an original file of the drawing. Otherwise I could have just sketched in the details for your '88 connections. The drawing was done for the power conversion on an '89, and there are differences in the power connection points.

Good luck, man.
Holy hell thats some good info right there. Do you happen to have the same info for '99 power window/locks/mirrors into an '01 lol. I'm going to attempt it but I think its gonna kick my ass.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
I'm sorry, man, but my expertise, and manual library, only covers 1983 to the 1994 model RBVs. I'm afraid that I just like the old school stuff!

On yours, are you going to try to use the GEM module, or do you need to know how to wire relays to run the added windows and locks by themselves? I can work with you on the later, although I won't have any wiring diagrams to go by, so I won't have wire colors.

Last edited:

jasongind

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
Im just going to hard wire it, relays. I checked with a Ford Tech and he said that would be the best way to go. If I start messing with the GEM then I'll more then likely end up with brian problems. I dont really know to much about electrical and relays so any help I can get would be awesome and greatly appreciated.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Good; that's the way to do it. I can sketch out a wiring diagram for you. Do you know if the switches, both locks and windows, from the donor truck switch negative, or positive? From helping others in the past on the newer trucks, I think that they switch negative.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals