• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Tachometer

budgettruck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
I hooked everything up the way the it was supposed to be, but when i hook the white wire to the dimmer wire on my truck the tach goes crazy. It's wierd cause when i move the dimmer wheel the needle on the tach goes up and down. It is on a 1999 Ford Ranger Xlt Supercab 2wd. Any help is appreciated.

shadetree

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Explorer Sport
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Double check your connections. It sounds as if you do not have a good ground on the black wire. The white wire is for the tach light only, but if the ground connection is not solid to the battery, it will seek ground thru another route. In your case it sounds as if it is looping thru the tach circuitry.

I assume you are using this diagram:

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/Tachwiring.html

:)shady

budgettruck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks

Thanks for the help, you were right I had a bad ground. Also for others out there I would recommened tapping into the dimmer switch itself instead of a dash light. Believe me it works a whole lot better. Thanks Again

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals