• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

MAF Cleaning

shadetree

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Explorer Sport
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
No. In other words I'm not going to give a long dissertation on static electricity. I have neither the time nor inclination to do so. If you don't understand what has been presented to you, and you want to know more, look it up. If you don't believe what has been presented, so be it, nothing will change your mind anyway. It's no big deal. I just pointed out one of the dangers of using pressurized sprays around electronic devices. jd

Last edited:

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Guys, I wouldn't suggest giving Shady a hard time on this topic. He's right.

Small particulates (such as aerosol sprays) are almost always charged. In fact, it's VERY difficult to make an aerosol that isn't charged. This is, for example, why we have lightning. It's dust and water droplets convecting to very high altitude that do it.

It's always fun to spray something like that around a van de Graaf generator.

In an era when the most familiar electricity comes as current, it's often forgotten that insulators can carry charge, too. The charge just doesn't move within the medium. But if the medium moves, so does the charge. And it can give it up to conductors. For over 100 years (in the late 18th and early 19th century), that's what people meant by electricity.

Nomad502

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
any electronics cleaner will work. You can pick up a can at circuit city, radio shack probably wall mart or target as well.
I wouldn't recommend "just any" electronics claener. Some contain luibricants which will attract more of the stuff you're trying to get rid of. Look for non-residual cleaner.

:huh: I don't get it. What creates the static charge? The contents of the can decompressing? Does the charge build up on the can? Do you mean there is danger of the charge jumping to the MAF sensor and damaging it or the control module?
Yep! Much like the charge that builds up when using a CO2 fire extinguisher.

calypso93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
4L
Transmission
Automatic
Hey, I just lost and electron
Are you sure?
Yup, I'm positive.
You can get a nice spark from a Shop Vac hose as well.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals