• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

power windows and locks (1st gen)

jasongind

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
i dont have a clue. Like I said, I know jack about electical lol. I really appreciate it.

liamkeough88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I wired everything up just as you outlined. only difference is there is only one solid black wire coming out of the driver door. other than that everything was the same. I wired direct to the battery to test things out. locks seem to work just underpowered and dont seem to want to go up and down very easily. as for the windows.. when i put the inline fuse in it blew almost right away. but just b4 it did the drivers window went down all on its own...??? any ideas? lol

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
A couple of thoughts for you.

First, confirm that there's only the one ground wire coming out of the driver door, by looking at the individual wires in the door before they go into the harness wrapping going out of the door and forward. While it's possible that the two black wires are connected into one before the grounding point, the Ford EVTM shows two wires all the way to the grounding point. A non-connected ground wire will make for some screwy problems.

The locks operating as though underpowered, in likely order could be parts that need servicing, or a poor ground. Check the moving lock linkages for binding, and clean and regrease the linkage parts.

Driver's window, carefully double-check your wiring connections, and check the switch; preferable an electrical test with a meter. A power window won't move, unless it's seeing the power and ground. Either wires are crossed, or the switch is pooched, putting power out when it's not supposed to. It's possible to take the switch apart, or just get a known good one. Common switch problems are corrosion from moisture, burnt contacts, or broken internal parts. First figure out why the window moved on its own, then see if the fuse-blowing symptom is still present. There's a good chance the two symptoms are related.

Otherwise, realize that you're working with parts that are over 15 years old, and have likely never been serviced. Clean the gunk off of everything that moves, and put new grease on everything that slides or touches another moving part. Check all mounting points for hardware tightness, and loosen, align, and retighten wherever it's needed.
Servicing is not hard; just spend the time, figure out how everything works, and works together, and do what's needed accordingly to make it right.

Finally, bear with me- I'm home this weekend, but I'm out of state training for my job, and won't have computer access for another two weeks. You've made great progress on your project so far; just hang with it, and you'll do fine. Good luck!

liamkeough88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
thanks again.
I did test runs on all the components before i removed them from the donor vehicle. had to lug a jump box out into the junk yard to do it but when i powerd the truck up all the switches worked fine. windows were moving up and down no problems and the locks worked well except for the passenger door which needed a new acuator. i may very well have some frayed wiring in the loom. (i did have some separating wires pre loom which i spotted and repaired..there might be more)
I will let ya know
Liam

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals