• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Nightmare with gauges on 1993 Ranger.

Hyme

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Ok, I am having a nightmare fixing this truck. I bought it over two weeks ago cause I needed cheap transportation. Its a 1993 with a 4 cyl. and manual trans. Its got 89,000. Of the many things I fixed, replacing the the sending unit/fuel pump in the tank was the most difficult one. I bought the best they had. Its a Bosch with a lifetime warranty. I made sure it was not some cheap chinese-made piece of crap. Anyways, I thought it would fix the fuel gauge problem, since the old float did have hole in it. Well, it didn't fix it! The fuel gauge only marks half full! Before I installed the new sending unit/float, it would read empty no matter how much gas it had. I filled up the tank yesterday and drove it for 40 miles. The guage only read half full the whole time! When I put the key in the ignition, the marker goes past the F. At times, it appears that it does give the correct reading only when the ignition is ON without the engine running. When I turn on the engine, it slowly moves to half way. The Temp. gauge does not work either. I changed the Temp. sensor, but it did not remedy the problem. I'm not sure if this is related, but the heater does not blow hot air either. All the hoses under the hood are hot, though. The Temp. gauge usually stays on C and sometimes moves slightly. I have flushed the radiator. Do I need to flush the heater core or do something else? The Oil pressure gauge marker is not quite in the middle where it needs to be. It marks slightly towards the L. I have no clue what could be wrong with this. I have no idea what could be wrong with this one. I could really use some suggestions. I am running out of money and need to get this truck on the road soon. Thanks, mates!

Hawk1339

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FordFord
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
With so many things gone haywire all at once, it could be anything. However, they do seem all related. Possible you have a faulty connector or fried wire supplying power to the instrument cluster.

Here is a link to a document detailing swapping instrument clusters from a 92 to a 93. You don't need it for that purpose but contained therein is a complete set of schematics for the instrument cluster including the temp, oil pressure, and fuel level senders. Study that and do some troubleshooting.

As for the heater problem, I only have a guess. I think there is a vacuum actuated valve that allows hot coolant flow through the heater coil. Or, it may be that the heater coil is always hot but the vacuum motor controls the air flow through it. In either case the actuator may be stuck or possibly there is a vacuum leak. Maybe someone else can confirm this.

Hyme

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks. I'll check it out.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals