• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What components are needed to add factory fog lights?

Bgunner

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70/R15
My credo
If it's not broken Don't Fix It!
I have a 94 Ranger XLT 2wd and have been wanting to add the factory 4wd fog/driving lights to the front along with the valance panel. I know the wiring is already there and I know I need to get the switch, the dash face with the hole for the switch and the relay for the fuse block under the hood but is there anything else that is needed to make the factory system complete?

I do have one more question about the factory lights. The halogen bulbs they use, I've used them in the past, seem like they do not last long for me. Is there other bulbs that are usable in them that last a longer time or are they only usable with the blow every 3 months or so stock type?

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock, may get leveling springs in front "somday"
Tire Size
I think it's the mounting brackets that hold the lights onto the frane that are no longer available. I've been searching too! Nada zip zero nothing.

I think it's just the nature of halogen lights, they don't have a long life

Bgunner

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70/R15
My credo
If there is a bracket required then when I hit the junkyard for the switch and dash face I'll try to snag them to. Looking at my trucks front end the only place I can see for a bracket is mounting to the bottom of the radiator support. Am I correct on this? There is one small bolt and an empty hole to either side of the factory light connector.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Something is wrong if you're only getting 3 months out of a set of halogen bulbs (that, or the brand of bulb you're using is no good).

(Bulbs like Sylvania's "Silverstar" I know have much shorter life spans than, say, their "Xtra Vision" bulbs... With off-brand bulbs it can be a crap-shoot).

The fog light brackets I recall attach to the inside of the front bumper support brackets (the ones inside the bumper itself, not the actual frame brackets). They are huge cast-steel brackets that I would almost choose to fab my own replacements for rather than try to seek out OEM ones just to save about 15-20 lbs from the front of the truck.

I've never yet tried to activate the fog light circuit on mine, but it does appear to me all you would need is the switch, a relay, the lights themselves, and mounting brackets of some sort for the lights. There's a boss for the switch molded into the back of the trim panel where the switch normally would go, I suspect you could just open up the hole with a Dremel or similar and stick the switch right into your current panel. I can't recall whether there is a factory electrical connector back there or not though (there was one for the push-button-shift 4WD transfer case which my truck did not have).

Last edited:

Bgunner

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70/R15
My credo
I had a set of KC driving lights mounted to the bumper of both my 83 S-10, in '96, and my 90 S-10 Baja, in '98, with the same exact bulbs in them. My 83 was the worst and they blew about every 3 months but on my 90 they lasted 5-6 months before blowing. They were not used much and still blew. My guess is because of the vibration is the reason they did not last.

As for the brackets I will look tomorrow to see where they mount and decide which way would be best for me to go. If I fab them it would only take a day or two for me to do it, I'm physically disabled now so it takes me quite some time just to walk 20 feet to another machine/tool, but I would have the accomplishment factor to go with it. Great Idea though. :icon_idea:

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Did you have higher-wattage bulbs in those KCs than what they came with?

Bgunner

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70/R15
My credo
No they came with 55W bulbs and that is what I put back in them. :dunno:

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Strange...
I think I replace a bulb maybe every 3 years (and that's among all lights on two vehicles). 'course now that I said that one will blow out tonight. lol :huh:

Normally I'd say maybe your alternator was outputting too much voltage (which wouldn't be good for the battery either)... But you said it happened the same on multiple vehicles.

I guess I don't have an answer other than the brand/quality of the bulbs were iffy.

I try to stick with one of: Sylvania, Wagner, Hella, or GE bulbs.

Good luck on your project.

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
Maybe add a fuse between the switch and lights so the fuse pops instead of the bulbs.

As for brackets, try looking for a Ranger Edge bumper for the brackets. I have an '01 edge and the fog lights for it have blown only once, when I got water in the housing. I am in the process of switching all bulbs to LED, less power to illuminate and seem to last longer.

Bgunner

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70/R15
My credo
Maybe add a fuse between the switch and lights so the fuse pops instead of the bulbs.

As for brackets, try looking for a Ranger Edge bumper for the brackets. I have an '01 edge and the fog lights for it have blown only once, when I got water in the housing. I am in the process of switching all bulbs to LED, less power to illuminate and seem to last longer.
Since I have not looked at the wiring diagram for the factory setup I can not say if there is one there to start with but I can follow your train of thought on this. It would help prevent any high amperage surge going to the lights themselves. I do know there is a fuse for the fog lights from the factory but just don't know where in the system it is put. Going by my experience with installing aftermarket light kits I would say it would be in the main power line before the switch.

Are the brackets the same from the XLT and Edge editions? I know the bumper covers/valance is different on some years this is why I am curious as to if they are the same bracket. It would save Ford some money to of made them the same.

EDIT: One one more thing I will need to know before hitting the junkyard, What years will fit properly? I know in 95 they made some changes to the Ranger, big interior changes and engine changes, but when did they make changes to this bracket?

Last edited:

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Since I have not looked at the wiring diagram for the factory setup I can not say if there is one there to start with but I can follow your train of thought on this. It would help prevent any high amperage surge going to the lights themselves. I do know there is a fuse for the fog lights from the factory but just don't know where in the system it is put. Going by my experience with installing aftermarket light kits I would say it would be in the main power line before the switch.

Are the brackets the same from the XLT and Edge editions? I know the bumper covers/valance is different on some years this is why I am curious as to if they are the same bracket. It would save Ford some money to of made them the same.

EDIT: One one more thing I will need to know before hitting the junkyard, What years will fit properly? I know in 95 they made some changes to the Ranger, big interior changes and engine changes, but when did they make changes to this bracket?
If you're looking for brackets, look for a '93-'97 truck. Later trucks I know are different. STX, XLT, and Splash trucks were ones most often equipped with fog lights (4x4s more often than 2WDs, but they could be had on both).

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals