• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1988 Ranger 1998 5.0 Explorer wireing help!!

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
If i had to guess, you don't have power to or at the transmission, you have a loose connection in one of the plugs, or a plug is not connected...

SVT

longboss351

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
SVT,
That makes since,,, I did switch the pins around and now there is 1 of the 3 power wires being used.. I had a thought, who said that 1 wire has power on it all the time?? I just dont know? What if I put all 3 wires together and use that 1 pin?? Then it should get power all the time?? Dont know if I am making any since? On the 96 harness there is 3 "vehicle power" wires, does 1 have power in first gear? And 2 has power in second gear and 3 have power in third?? So if I only use 1 of the 3 pins... this may be why it is trying to go in to second gear and takes forever.. It is like a vaccuum leak and not enouth at the shifting module... aka c6 c4,,,,,.... I think ill try all 3 together,, also check with my DVM to see if there is power... Thanks again!!
Chris.. Ill post resaults later today...

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
The new transmissions are all controlled electrically, they no longer use vacuum or TV cables. If there isn't power going to the solenoids, which includes the EPC, the trans won't act or shift right. It must have power. All power going to the trans goes through the EEC relay, so it only gets power when the key is on. Don't forget, the O2 sensors run through that harness as well, and they get power to run the heaters in the sensor...

SVT

longboss351

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Update//questions

42 Pin 1996 plug

Pin...Circuit..Color.................Purpose
1.....16......Red/Lt Green.......PCM Power to relay
2.....11......Tan/Yellow..........tachometer data link
3.....915.....Pink/Lt Blue........Data Link Connector pin 10
4.....511.....Lt Green............Brake On/Off switch
5.....238.....Dk Green/Yellow..Power From Fuel Pump Relay (Fuel pump on signal)
6.....658.....Pink/Lt Green......Malfunction Indicator (CEL)
7.....679.....Gray/Black.........Speed output from VSS
8.....37......Yellow...............Continuous Power
9.....361.....Red..................Fuel Pump relay coil
10.....29.....Yellow/White......Fuel level sender
11....914.....Tan/Orange.......Data Link Connector pin 2
12....224.....Tan/White.........Instrument Cluster
13....676.....Pink/Orange......VSS and PCM Ground
14....91......Purple/White......Canister Vent Solenoid coil
15....926.....Lt Blue/Orange...Fuel Pump relay coil
16....39......Red/White..........Engine temp gauge
17....791.....Red/Pink............Fuel Tank Pressure Transducer (Signal)
18....359.....Gray/Red...........Sensor reference voltage
19....351.....Brown/White......Fuel Tank Pressure Transducer (Power supply)
20....199.....Lt Blue/Yellow....Transmission Controls/Clutch Pedal Position Jumper
21....140.....Black/Pink.........reversing lamps at transmission range sensor
22....107.....Purple..............Data Link Connector Pin 13
24....329.....Pink.................starter system at transmission range sensor
25....298.....Purple/Orange....reversing lamps at transmission range sensor
26....253.....Dk Green/White..oil pressure gauge
27....305.....Lt Blue/Pink.......Message Center pin 5
28....394.....Orange/Black.....Automatic ride control module pin 6
29....784.....Lt Blue/Black......4WD Low Range indicator
30....331.....Pink/Yellow........WOT A/C relay coil
31....32......Red/Lt Blue........starter system at transmission range sensor
33....463.....Red/White..........Neutral switch for GEM
34....570.....Black/White........Ground
36....34......Lt Blue/Orange.....PCM Power from relay
37....198.....Dk Green/Orange..Power to Pin 30 WOT A/C relay
39....191.....Lt Green/Black.....Vapor Management Valve coil
40....911.....White/Lt Green....Transmission Control Indicator in dash (overdrive off lamp)
42....570.....Black/White.........Ground

Pin 1 is power for the ignition coils, hot in run & start.
Pin 5, hot to fuel pump
Pin 8, continious power
Pin 9 is power for fuel injectors, IAC, & MAF, hot in run & start
pin 15 is fuel pump relay, this turns the fuel pump relay (coil wire) on from the ecu
pin 36 is power to trans & O2 sensors is hot in run.
pin 13,34 and 42 are ground.

pin 4 brake on/off T/C lock out
pin 12 from interment cluster for O/D on and off
pin 40 led to indicate O/D off

If there isn't power going to the solenoids, which includes the EPC, the trans won't act or shift right.

All power going to the trans goes through the EEC relay

Ok,, can you check me to see if these are correct. This is how I have all the wires wired.....
But, I had a thought... Pin 36 is power to trans & 02,, I may not have a good enough power source to power them... After looking at what I am posting,, I am thinking this. I have that hard wired from the 88 Ranger single small wire from org harness. Ill hook up a relay with separate power source...

Also,, I did connect all 3 hot wires at trans together,, no luck there, but if there is not enough power, "like you said or lack of",, this could be the problem...

Also,, do I have a EPC and EEC????? What are they and where are they?? Sorry for the dumb questions, I am still learning but the truck is running now,, just having shifting issues..
Thanks again for everyone's help!!!Chris AZ

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
Pin 5 isn't hot to tye fuel pump, its hot from the pump, or the output from the relay to the pump. This tells the ecu that the relay is working and the pump is on.
Pin 12 goes to the OD on/off switch, this wire gets a momentary 12+ to turn the OD on and off.
EPC is Electronic Pressure Control, its inside the trans. In the old days pressure was controlled by a tv cable. EEC is Electronic Engine Computer (EEC, ECU, same thing, different names).
If you had the trans harness hooked up to the engine harness, you shouldn't need to hard wire anything, everything goes through the 42 pin plug. On the B2 I'm doing right now (88 bronco2 conversion using 2000 explorer 302) the ecu plug (C202) was extended to go in the original ecu location, and the 42 pin plug was extended and hooked to the plugs in the driver side fenderwell to the engine connectors.In that collection of plugs, there is also the main feed for the power in the cab, as well as several other important circuits. I will add the a few circuits were NOT the same color codes that i had from different sources ( haynes manual, ford EVTM, other members) so double check the circuit before applying power...

SVT

longboss351

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
SVT,
I am so sorry to keep bothering you,, I really am at a loss, I am not good with schematics at all! I am having problems figuring out "the correct" way to hook up wires to the right spot. I am at a loss on the fuel pump relays, brown and green. This may be the same for the Bronco II you are doing.. I have looked everywhere and just can’t find the info I need, the brown relay is the EEC fuel pump relay. Green is fuel pump relay,, I am looking to find out what each wire in them both go to???
You said, "Pin 5 isn't hot to tye fuel pump, its hot from the pump, or the output from the relay to the pump. This tells the ecu that the relay is working and the pump is on."
I guess I just don’t know where to hook up pin 5 the correct way???
And pin 15 is fuel pump relay, this turns the fuel pump relay (coil wire) on from the ecu?? And also this one the same thing??
Would you have any more info on that area around the 2 Ford relays at the passenger side?? Have you got this part done on the Bronco yet?

Also,,,, you said, "42 pin plug was extended and hooked to the plugs in the driver side fender well to the engine connectors. In that collection of plugs"

Again, how did you wire the Bronco? I am using wires from all those plugs,, but not sure if they are right or the correct ones. I’m sorry, I know this is lame,, I guess I just need to have someone draw this on a chalk board for me.. :)
Thanks so much for any help, I know you have your own things to do..
Chris AZ

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals