• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

94 ext cab 2wd to 4wd

BangerII89

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
does anyone know if the 2 piece rear driveline from a 4wd will fit in the same location when I put the 4wd transmission and transfer case in? or will I have to make a one piece driveline? the reason im asking is I cant find any 2 piece or one piece drivelines at the junkyards and my only luck is a place four hours away. so I kinda want to get some info before I drive four hours there.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
If you've swapped in a 4WD trans & 1350 or 1354 transfer case, the rear driveshaft from a 4WD truck should fit it just fine (the engine, trans, & rear axle are all located the same on both 2WD & 4x4 trucks, just the 4WDs have a factory 2" lift block).

Be sure to use a '88 or newer trans if you're looking to do the 4WD one-piece driveline swap at the same time (eliminating the Supercab driveshaft center carrier bearing).

BangerII89

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
sweet. thanks bud. ive got a 94 extened cab 4.0 5 speed m50d-r1 2wd truck. Im putting a fm146 and manual bw1354 with a 4.10 disc brake 8.8 and long arm dana 30 with coilovers in it for a daily and light trails.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Sounds like a fun project.

Be aware though that a FM146 was never made for the torque output of a 4.0L V6 (they are marginal even behind the 2.9L they were paired with), and your Supercab truck is gonna put you a good 500+ lbs over what that D30 axle was ever designed to carry.
I would suggest trying to find a Mazda M5OD trans and a D44 axle for your project, as it'll be time/money well-spent. :icon_thumby:

Good luck with it.

BangerII89

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have never had an issue with the fm146 behind a 4.0 in my wheeler on 39.5 and im not nice to that thing. and the front of a Cherokee vs the front of my ranger is 100 lbs more than the ranger on a scale minus axle weight. I was curious about that also when I was looking for a dana 30.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
The big concern with the FM146 is it's ball bearings. If you don't drive it on the highway much, you may never have a problem, but a sustained load on it at 65 MPH (driving up a freeway grade for example) seems to be what kills them (the input and output shaft bearings can't take the heat well apparently).

When I checked weights, a Cherokee was ~1700lbs on the front axle and a Supercab Ranger 4.0L 4WD (what you're converting yours into) was pushing 2200lbs. This was weight w/tires & wheels, but still it's a much bigger difference that I'd be comfortable with (the D30 ring & pinion is not particularly strong for propelling that kind of weight either). This big difference comes from the vehicle's weight distribution front/rear (A SC Ranger is about 60%/40% due to it's long wheelbase and empty truck bed, the Jeep is much closer to 50/50%).

Anyway, just giving you a warning is all. For sure there are some on here that drive conservatively and have not had any problems with a D30 under their truck.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals