• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

gas cap light came on....

joshkeller

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2006 ranger 3.0 standard cab, 5 speed

gas cap light came on today. checked cap, and it was snug. Light still hasnt gone out. Dropped my tank to see if there was an air leak. Found the line coming off the back of the tank (seperate from the pump/vent/sender assembly) had a broken fitting at the end opposite the fuel tank. is this the likely cause of my light?

thanks

bf750

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
2. Crap
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33 1250 15
My credo
It is what it is

joshkeller

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
what exactly is the rear most line? can i epoxy or superglue the connector back on? i dropped the tank but ran out of light and didnt have time to inspect anything.

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s

Dune Runner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999 4.0
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I had a hella of a time finding that mine was off when I first bought my truck. I safety wired it on so it wouldn't happen again.

joshkeller

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
are there two evap lines? i see the large hose going to it, but this one is only about 1/8 - 1/4" inside diameter. its the only hose coming off the rear of the gas tank.

also, the nipple the hose goes onto is snapped off..whats the best way of attaching it? I dont see the connector listed on any parts sights.

thanks guys.

Andy D

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
The Rat
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
My credo
to prevent Found On the Road Dead, Fix Or Repair Daily
are there two evap lines? i see the large hose going to it, but this one is only about 1/8 - 1/4" inside diameter. its the only hose coming off the rear of the gas tank.

also, the nipple the hose goes onto is snapped off..whats the best way of attaching it? I dont see the connector listed on any parts sights.

thanks guys.
Go get 2 metal hose barbs for the hose , some more hose, and a sealer. I would use #2 Aviation Forma gasket because it remains tacky. RTV will loosen over time. JB Weld maybe. You want to carefully drill the broken off nipple under size hole and push a gooped up barb into the hole. Attach a length of hose to it and goop it some more. After a 1/2 hour connect the hoses together with the other barb. I would get enough hose to make the splice where you can do it easiest. On my Wagoneers with plastic tanks the vents were just holes in the tank top with rubber grommets around the hose. So check out what you have. and replace bad parts at the hardware store. :D

Last edited:

joshkeller

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
any reason i cant just cut the fitting off and use a double barbed connector to join the two hoses back together? or is there a sensor inside that small fitting?

joshkeller

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
also, what about blocking off the small hose at the connector? Will that trip off the gas light, since it seems its detecting a leak? The main hose is still fine,its just the smaller one that isnt hooked up.

joshkeller

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
last question - my f150 needs brakes, and I need to make a 450 mile round trip this weekend, and wont have time to do brakes or the evap connector after work any days this week (no power in my shop and i'll be working until dark each day). will driving it with the small evap hose unhooked for the weekend cause any problems? I unhooked my battery and the light cleared, and hasnt come back on in the 30 miles ive driven it today.

ctvoigts

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Not yo jack you thread but i have a 02 that has had the gas cap light on and check engine For along time now. I have replaced the gas cap. So the gas cap light goes on and off along with the check engine. I forget the code but it's a mass Evap and vacuum leak. I can't find a vacuum leak anywhere. I even did a smoke test. Should I give this a try. The truck runs rough every once in awhile. I kinda just gave up trying to track it down till I saw this post. Thanks

JOSH if this is my problem to I've been driving around like this for about a year lol you should be alright. Maybe someone else will chime back in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spott

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
ctvoigts: You need to determine the actual cause of your problem, before you try applying solutions.

Your problem may be completely different than Josh's, in which case trying to apply his solution would be a complete waste of time and money.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals