• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Replacing Front Brake Lines - Some Questions

greek2me

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hey there! I'm planning to replace my front brake lines in the next couple days and have a couple questions.

First, when removing the old line, do I need to drain all of the fluid from the system? Or should I take it out quickly and plug the master cylinder with something?

Once the new front brake lines are installed, will I only need to bleed those two front wheels?

Is there anything you wish that you knew when you did this repair? How long did it take?

Thanks in advance - I appreciate your responses!

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I would recommend a complete flush of both front and back lines. Brake fluid really likes h2o and after time can pick up enough to start rusting brake lines. It's supposed to be a closed system but who knows what the previous owner did. Go ahead and replace lines, don't try to save any fluid. Then bleed starting from the furthest away, usually passenger side rear, then drivers rear, pass. front and finally drivers front. I'm not sure if the procedure changes if you have ABS or RABS, etc. Hopefully another member can help with that.

greek2me

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
So I should essentially just disconnect the brake lines and drain all of the fluid from the master cylinder before putting the new lines in?

Pauls 4x4

ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Don't empty the master or you'll have to "bench bleed" it (you can cheat on this but it's not always gonna work). <<< That, and ABS modules are why many home jobs end up with "permanently squishy" brakes they can't figure out.

Don't pinch lines, but don't drag your feet in swapping the lines and it should be good to go.

Use the friend assisted or slower gravity bleed technique at the farthest wheel from the reservoir until you see it's clean & Keeping the master topped up. BUT DON'T BOTTOM OUT THE MASTER CYLINDER.

Work around getting them all to bleed "new" looking fluid and you'll be clean 'nough.

Swapping lines you have to bleed all four corners, and that's enough clean up for bad fluid.

Note, (it's been a long time since I've done it manually so my procedure may be a bit dated):
ABS doesn't change much unless the system goes fully dry... like you leave it to drain overnight... (which lets lots of water vaper in the air up into them seals...

then may the good Lord help you if your doing it manually:

you'd have bench bleed the master you need to let it gravity to bleed the wheels... then attachments at the ABS module, then attachments at the master... if you want it at 100%. A right mess...

Or pay 200 bucks for a pressure bleeder and force it all out! Much easier! <<< I've never looked back. Takes me 2 minutes.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals