• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Explorer 8.8 junkyard swap

Desertrunner33

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hi everyone. I'm going to a pick your part junkyard this weekend to get an Explorer 8.8 axle for a swap into my ranger. I have read around online about it including the page on this website about it. I'm gonna use this kit for all the new spring pads, shock mounts, u bolts etc:
http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/88SS-31.html

My main question is about the brakes. I know the 1995+ explorer axles have disc brakes so what will I have to do to hook them up to my ranger? I also know the explorer e brake hookups are different so when I pull the axle out of the junkyard I'm gonna make sure to grab the explorer e brake lines. What is the most common way of approaching this e brake issue? Thank you all in advance.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Brakes should be as easy as replacing your current master cylinder with one from a 2002 Explorer Sport. Then you need two right rear hoses from an Explorer, and it should more or less hook up.

The parking brake cables should be able to hook up to yours. Take the cables that go to your wheels off at the splitter, and hook the Explorer cables up at the same spot. Mine is together like that and it works fine.

Last edited:

Desertrunner33

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Brakes should be as easy as replacing your current master cylinder with one from a 2002 Explorer. Then you need two right rear hoses from an Explorer, and it should more or less hook up.

The parking brake cables should be able to hook up to yours. Take the cables that go to your wheels off at the splitter, and hook the Explorer cables up at the same spot. Mine is together like that and it works fine.
Awesome. Thanks for the response. So do I need the master cylinder specifically from a 2002 or what other years will work? I think the axle is coming out of a 1997 but I can look for a different one if need be. I have a 2003 btw

Last edited:

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
The rear disc brakes of the Explorer never changed on any of the RWD years. It used the same caliper the whole way through so the year of the master doesn't need to match the year of the axle. I said 02 because it will be closest, numerically to your year, but from 99 to 01 or the 02 Sport should all be the same.

Desertrunner33

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The rear disc brakes of the Explorer never changed on any of the RWD years. It used the same caliper the whole way through so the year of the master doesn't need to match the year of the axle. I said 02 because it will be closest, numerically to your year, but from 99 to 01 or the 02 Sport should all be the same.
Ok thank you. I will let you all know how axle grab goes once I have everything. I will take a weekend to cut off, reweld brackets, weld the tubes, and then have it re geared and painted before it goes in.

Desertrunner33

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Does anyone know if the e brake cables are the same length?

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
The Explorer parking brake cables that came with my '99 axle are significantly shorter than the stock cables on my '94 Ranger, so the same may be case on your '03.

I made an adapter out of some threaded rod and a couple pieces of the old cable hardware to attach the Ex cables to the main cable coming from the pedal. Also a bracket will be needed just behind the leaf hanger to support the shorter cables.

Couple pics of how I did my BII:

Also FWIW, I reused the stock MC on my BII with my '99 axle swap, it seems fine (if I step on it hard enough I can get the ABS to kick in, no premature locking up, etc.). Not sure what (if anything) is different on a Ranger or on different years (in the past I read that if the truck has ABS to start, the stock MC should work with the discs).

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
The Explorer parking brake cables that came with my '99 axle are significantly shorter than the stock cables on my '94 Ranger, so the same may be case on your '03.
I'm wondering is that has something to do with the wheel base of the donor. I know mine came out of a 4-door, and the cables on it were perfect for length. A sport would have shorter cables somewhere in the line.

Desertrunner33

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Ok interesting. Looks like a good way to solve the e brake cables issue if I end up with one's that are too short. I'm gonna go pull one out of a junkyard tomorrow. Hopefully they have one. So should I leave the master cylinder for now then and just hope it works or should I grab the one off of the explorer while I'm there?

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
I think my axle was from a 4-door, but I guess I don't really know for sure now 12 years later. :dunno:

Seems to me most logical would be to keep as much the same as possible for cost reasons... Changing the length of the main p-brake cable to accommodate different WBs of the same vehicle would seem more logical. But then again Ford has done plenty of illogical things before. Next time I see both a Sport and a 4-door in the same yard I guess I'll have to investigate.

So should I leave the master cylinder for now then and just hope it works or should I grab the one off of the explorer while I'm there?
Up to you... Maybe grab it just so you have it in case yours does end up not working for some reason (assuming you're getting it cheap).

Desertrunner33

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Anyone know a part number for the e brake lines that will hook up to the explorer e brakes and be the right length for the ranger?

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

Desertrunner33

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hey guys just wanted say thanks. I know it's a little bit delayed but I finished up the swap tonight and drove it and no problems so far! I went with 4.56 gears and I definitely like it

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals