• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Engine swap into 86 Bronco 2

Nightsun

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Hello. I have an opportunity to obtain an 86 bronco 2 with 2.9 fi engine, 5 spd Trans and 4x4. It's at a buddy's ranch that is about 16 miles down the road from my hunting property. Unfortunately it isn't running correctly at the moment and has been sitting for roughly 3 years. Everything is intact however we suspect the motor may be bad. I've read that the 4.0 engine swap is easy however since this truck will only be used on our property it will never see public road. Because of this I'm wondering if the 4.0 is still the easiest swap (aside from another 2.9 swap) what our other swap options. I don't care about ac, gauges aside from water temp and oil pressure which can be mechanical. Just need very basic stuff. Can someone help me out with this? I'm going to be trailering it to my home about 2.5 hrs away to start working on this. Before I do so just trying to get a better idea of what it's gonna take and cost. Thank you for the help. Regards

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
Depends on what you actually want to do. A 2.9L would be the easiest as its already got one in it. Anything different and you'll have to do some modifications of course. The 4.0L swap isn't exactly just a drop in especially if you want gauges and stuff to work but in your case may not be that big of a deal, of course you'll need the wiring harness and computer too. Another option is a 302 V8 swap.

JerryC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I agree with wildbill keep the 2.9.
Imho, if I did a swap to a different engine for off-road only I'd go 302, and scrap the computer controls.

cammeddrz

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/chevy
Engine Size
efi 350vortec
Transmission
Manual
On a 2.9 rig, it's actually harder to "scrap the computer controls"

You can solder 2 additional injector connectors onto the 2.9 harness, and use a truck 5.0 ECM, at that point a TFI 5.0 is literally plug-n-play. From a purely wiring standpoint it's about 20 times easier than a 4.0 swap.

So don't "scrap the computer controls" that'd be a bad move

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
On a 2.9 rig, it's actually harder to "scrap the computer controls"

You can solder 2 additional injector connectors onto the 2.9 harness, and use a truck 5.0 ECM, at that point a TFI 5.0 is literally plug-n-play. From a purely wiring standpoint it's about 20 times easier than a 4.0 swap.

So don't "scrap the computer controls" that'd be a bad move
4.0 would have the perk of fitting into the existing powertrain though. T-case, driveshafts, cooling system... even the trans if you play nice.

Wiringwise though, yeah, the 5.0 would be easier.

JerryC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I'd scrap the computer controls so I could build the 302 how I like. From mild to wild as the build progresses. I'd probably start with an old school carb and ignition and move onto one of the new tbi/ignition systems.
Unless I come into more money than I know what do with that probably isn't going to happen.

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Disregarding several of the replies above I'll simply say that "mechanically" putting a 4.0 where a 2.9 has been is the easiest engine swap going....

Mostly because the 4.0 is a specifically designed engine to replace the 2.9
The 4.0 uses the same bell-housing pattern and motor mounts, there are other differences, but...

For the wiring it is quite a difficult swap, I did this swap on my '87 Ranger, so I know
this swap fairly well...

On a 1989-92 the swap from a 2.9 to a 4.0 is much easier, IF you grab the wiring harness from the donor, but 89-up Rangers & B2's are wired differently...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals