• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Chopped 88 b2, make it legal in PA

Slayersaves313

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If it ain't broke, fix it.
I'm going to get to the point and before anyone asks "why on earth..." I have included the reasons below.

I want to put a non-Ranger truck cab on my B2 so I can seal the passenger compartment back up and pass an inspection (will be registering the vehicle off the cab's title so it's a truck rather than "sedan") bc I moved and would now have to trailer it to go on rides (and need to buy a trailer)

I'm also currently having electrical issues somewhere that my starter randomly engages. I'm going to remove all non essential wiring, install toggles for run/start etc and solid state contactors for main power and between battery and starter. I just need to know what I need to salvage from the bronco body for this. I'm a mechanic and an electronics technician so I know the idea, but I feel like I'm reworking the wheel at this point and could use some input.

Thanks,
Don

Some years back I came across the section here and on the bronco corral about chopping the top on my b2. Now, I was currently in an auto tech school and figured if I couldn't get it done right, I knew someone who did, plus projects could be worked on in class. I had my mind set but found neither assistance or support for my project so I got out a grinder and lopped off my roof behind the support beam.

Now, this isn't the prettiest thing I've seen and by no means am I sad that I did it nor am I happy with the turn out. I managed to get it inspected one last time after I did this with some quick fixes:
-Flipped over duff prerunner bumper to lower high to passing
-quick welded on a single pipe drop bumper to the rear bumper supports
-used a piece of vinyl board to close in the "cab"

I was told that this was allowed once bc the inspector was a friend of the family but I would need to figure out something better next time. So I mounted stainless studs along the lower window areas, up the support rail and acrossed the roof/roll bar and made a top from canvass and grommets (thus removable). The tops left ripping and grommets tore out, so now most of the year (minus the usual 2 rides I go on a year between repairs) it sits in the weather.

I want to pull the body and install a truck cab and short plank bed. My donor truck I have sitting is a 93 Isuzu pickup 5sp 2wd 2.3 single cab. The truck is low miles but I can't get the carb (yes carb on a factory 93 engine.. the only engine that was Isuzu rather than chevy) working and spent too long dicking with it so it's now parts donor.

bronco2fan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3 inch body lift
Tire Size
I don't think most of us comprehend what you're question is. If you are keeping the motor and tranny from the 88 then you need all associated wiring, sensors, fuel lines etc. If you're not, then it's totally up to you what to do. As far as chopping it, I've never seen one that actually looks really good. There are quite a few B2s on here that people have done that to. You just have to search the forums to find them. If you take your time and plan it out, it may look nice and perform the way you want it to. If not, it's a crap shoot and you may not be happy at all. Hope I helped some and good luck with her.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
So what you are saying is you screwed up, have come up with the worst possible way of fixing it, and now you want to know how to get it through inspection.

The easiest way is to build the vehicle as you have it planed and then apply for a custom built title. It will require enhanced inspection the first year, which can be a pain, but will make it easier going forward.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals