• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Newb Question?

Reikat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Well hey all... I'm new here and new to 4x4's all together. Owned 4 mustangs before I bought my 1990 BroncoII yesterday... tired of the tickets for now... lol. So I decided a 4x4 could be fun without tickets... So I'm a complete newb...and I'm sure it will show... but I'm willing to learn.

So... I know most of it may come with age, but my BroncoII is kinda floppy feeling. It's kinda hard to explain. Like, the engine is in great shape... just the driveline isn't solid and doesn't feel tight or confident. The clutch also engages really high and the throttle response is horrible... it's almost dissapointing. I know it's no mustang, but I feel like if I get down on it I would throw driveshaft axels and tires... also the truck isn't very road solid it kinda bobs and sways more then normal I think. The steering has a lot of un needed play I think. Any way to tighten it up? So pretty much what I'm asking is what I do to tighten it up over all. Do I need to replace driveline components, suspension, clutch? The whole truck? lol I just want it to feel solid, like I could do a burn out with out it falling apart. Any help will be greatly appriciated...

bcost882

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000, 2011
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L, 1.6L
Transmission
Manual
replace your u-joints if they have alot of play ( get underthere and give em a shake) and your front end and steering could prolly use new ball joints and rod ends. and some new shocks prolly wouldnt hurt

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
It's a truck, not some late model crappy late model crossover thing. It's like trying to compare apples to pizza.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
First off start with the engine and clutch. Pull the codes on the engine after you give it a good tune up use stock motorcraft plugs and new wires. If the clutch is weak now would be a good time to make it new, flywheel, pilot bering, clutch kit and new seals engine rear main and input on the tranny while you have it apart. I recommend a new master cylinder on the clutch also. It is a truck your sitting higher up you dont need to worry about it falling off the road and you can still get tickets it all depends on how you use the skinny pedal. I always start with the way energy flows. tank, engine, tranny, wheels. You can take it to any frame and axel and get a safety check and they have to tell you what it needs for suspension. I have a friend that owns ballard frame and axel he tells me what I need and I give him the alignment after i replace the parts. Shocks, tires, brakes, drive lines are obvious get the axels, steering and springs tight fixing the obvious first. Just sounds like it has been neglected a good inspection and set your priorities. You can possibly pull the engine codes at your local part store or get a cheap code reader and do it yourself anyway welcome and be careful 4X4 is an addiction you might not have to worry about cops as much as trees and big rocks.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Those clutches do engage kinda high though. If you really really want a clutch that grabs from the get go, go read up on the 10" clutch swap.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals