• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Will 4.56 gears be to much??

trail B2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have 4.10s and 10.5 33s a 2" bodylift 2" suspension lift and it's much more roadable than when I bought it. What made it that way was the 4.0 and the M50D.I drive an hour and a half like its no big deal when there are out of town trips and I drive it around town all the time too.That doesn't mean I try take it out of town instead of my tauras but it's better than stock.

It would be a lot cheaper to put a 4.0 in then rebuild the front and the back differentials.That wouldn't fix the whole problem but it would be pretty drivable with 31s and 3.73s if you figure the RPMs.If you put gears in make sure you are at the tire size and engine tranny that you want or they will be off again gears and lockers are the most expensive part of these builds and a guy can only do it once.

59bisquik

April 2011 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
I drive mine all over the place and just did over 1200 miles in a couple of days on the east coast. Sure they need to be driven different than a sports car, but still very streetable. Junkie has a really nice rig too! :icon_thumby:

My B2 came with 4.10's factory. With the 30's the gearing was ok. When I went to 32's I went with 4.88's since thats what the gear calculator told me to go with. Very happy with it then...just like going back to stock! I then went to 35's and kept the 4.88's. With the 2.9/A4LD, it really struggled on the highway and would not lock up the converter anymore. Now with the 4.0 and the 4.88's...I really like it. Sure...the 5.13's would of been better, but out of the budget after all of the other mods.

92fordzilla

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
I don't want to hijack this thread but I have been searching for the same answer except that I have a 1989 BII, with the 2.9L and 5 speed manual. I am going to be running 35x12.50's on it and explorer axles just wondering if I found explorer axles with a 4.10 ratio would this be enough to turn the tires or should I switch to 4.56's.

Also will be eventually putting the 4.0l in it from the explorer

Thanks

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
I don't want to hijack this thread but I have been searching for the same answer except that I have a 1989 BII, with the 2.9L and 5 speed manual. I am going to be running 35x12.50's on it and explorer axles just wondering if I found explorer axles with a 4.10 ratio would this be enough to turn the tires or should I switch to 4.56's.

Also will be eventually putting the 4.0l in it from the explorer

Thanks
Nope, neither one for that.

4.88s absolute minimum, 5.13s even better.

59bisquik

April 2011 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Nope, neither one for that.

4.88s absolute minimum, 5.13s even better
:agree:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals