• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

High Rider / Sport Rider Suspensions and Lift Kits

LordVngr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Hey Guy's

I got a 89 STX 4x4 Supercab with what's known as a Sport Rider Suspension. While Not Technically a High Rider it seems to be the Same Exact Suspension. I used This Link as a Reference.

My sales brochure also talks about 21 unique components and when I compare my trucks suspension to the pictures in the link I have the Same Components on my truck.

So it seems I have this High Rider Suspension which brings me to my questions. The Link description has this to say. " Including a front mounted sway bar, a redesigned rear sway bar, new revalved gas shocks, new rear leaf springs, revised brake components, front drive shaft and transfer case.

1 - Whats Different about the Rear leaf springs from a regular 4x4. I notice my lift blocks are 2 3/4 inch and I've heard Stock is 2 inches..

2 - Whats is Revised in the brake Components exactly. I have Power front disks and 10 inch rears.

3 - What's Different about the Front Drive Shaft and Transfer Case. I hear the tranfer cases are Rare.

4 - How can I tell if I have these Differerent Components, Especially the tranfer case and drive shaft.

LIFT KITS

I'm currently running 30x9.5 now and it looks like 31x9.5 would fit but 32x10.5 might be a little close. I'd like to get a little more height out of the truck But because of the Sport rider suspension I'm not sure the best way to go.

The article states " When adding a suspension lift to a 1987-1988 Ranger STX, you'll get 1.5 inches less lift. You'll still get the same amount of lift as other 'normal' Rangers though. "

If I understand that correctly it means if I put a 6 inch lift kit on I'm only going to get a 4 1/2 inch lift but the 1.5 inch I already have will bring it up to 6 inch. Is that Correct.

I'm Also not sure what Size lift kit to go with here. I'm looking to build a Tuff truck and not a Monster / mudder truck. The Max tire size I might go to would be 32 / 33 Inch. How much lift would be required.

Because of the Sport Rider suspension Can I use a class One kit or do a Have to go with a class Two with extended radius arms. I really like the Class 3 6 inch by James Duff and was wondering if I replaced my Entire Suspension with Duff and Standard Ranger Compenents could I get a Good Price for my High rider / Sport Rider suspension components on ebay or here.

I was going to go with a 6 inch but I worried it might be To Much Lift and it doesnt seem to make much sense to do a 4 inch if in reality it's only going to lift it an additional 2 inches.

Which brings me to Body Lifts. I dont like the 3 inch But I did think about a 2 inch. I'm not fond of a body lift but in my case it might be the Best Way to go. I cant seem to find a 2 inch lift body lift with bumper brackets though and I dont have a Mazda tranny so my shifter would drop 2 inches.

As you can tell I'm pretty dazed and confused about the Right / Best Way to get some more lift out of the truck. If you had my truck what would you do...

Thanks

LV

Last edited:

baddis

U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 Sohc 1.5 ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
if you use a 6 inch kit you will only get 4 1/2 inches. i have an 88 highrider and i have a 3 inch body lift on it. i think it would clear 33's as i have 31's on it now

canyoncritter

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Willys,Ford,Jee
Transmission
Manual
the highrider brackets worth depends on the shape of them.....are you form the rust belt?....or are you from a rust free place like Southern california....

myself, Id make it as painless as possible, 4inch cut and turn beams,6inch coil springs,brake lines, keep your highrider pitman arm...and depnding on what kind of money you have or want to spend,ethier get some 6inch radius arm drop brackets 32 inch tires this route...or your choice of radius arms...33's this route.(very simple install, and will aline very easy)

the reason I say 32's with the use of the stock radius arms on the drops is cause the arc the short radius arms cause the tires to pulll back towards the fire wall faster than extend radius arms in up travel.

from what I can gather, the james duff 3.5inch bracket are the same thing as the highrider bracket.alittle better reenforced, but pretty much the same thing....just a longer spring for lift, and turn the cmaber bushings all the way out. I dont see a 6inch kit on their page....

here is pretty much what your truck would sit like....witht he 4inch cut and turn beams and 6inch coil.

33x12.50's on 15x7's w/ 3.75 back space.

with these rims and tires I would not have had to cut the fenders.the fenders were cut before I got it...

(use to have a 6inch skyjacker kit,bushwacker fender flairs and 36inchs ground hawgs on 10 or 12 inch rims,since then I have put a autofab kit on it, and the autfab kit is pretty much what I talked about above)

Joshua skelton

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Why put off tomorrow what can be done today
got 31/10.5/15 on mine had to cut a little but looks great i cant get a pic to downloa

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals