• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

T-stat hsg bolt anti-sieze

austinrick

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I'll be changing out the t-stat on my '93 XLT 3.0L soon and wonder if there are opinions on using a dab of Anti-Sieze on the housing bolt threads. The bolts were supposedly replaced around 10-12 years ago and I always worry about breaking one backing them out after so long.

If they come out okay and look good I'll reuse them. What do you think of a little Anti-Sieze on whatever bolts go back in? -thx

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, that would be fine, they only have 15-20ft/lb torque so should come out easily

Doofy

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Shit Happens...Then You Die.
I've been using anti-seize for years and have never had any problems. Thermostat housing bolts are fine, however, there are usually a couple of bolts on water pumps that require a sealer instead because they pass through a water jacket.

austinrick

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Works for me, folks, thanks very much for the encouraging words.

rangerenthiusiast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I’m sure you’ve probably already thought of this, but when it comes to bolts that haven’t been out for a while, I always like to spray some PB Blaster or Aerokroil on them once a day for several days beforehand, so that the lubricant has a chance to get down into the threads. If they fight you coming out, you could also try gently working the bolts a tiny bit in each direction (with occasional sprays of the same lube), in order to try to break things loose. Finally, if desperate, you could gently tap the heads of the bolts with a ball peen hammer and a brass drift, again to try to break up the rust without snapping the bolts.

If the worst should happen and one snaps, see if you can get an easy out tool in there. If so, drill a small hole into the bolt stud, work the easy out into it, and they should back out of there. Barring that, you’ll need to use a tap and die to cut new threads in there.

Good luck!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals