• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Wonderin about something!

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Was in a large empty parking lot today, and did some burnouts for the heck of it. Every time, left two long black tracks on the dry ground. Truck has a 3.73 standard 7.5 axle. Always thought standard axles didn't leave two tracks. Thought one tire spun, while the other hooked.

1998 3.0 auto with a custom catback, no muffler, on stock manifolds and a MAC intake. Two large 255/60-15 Cooper Cobra GT's out back. Also has tightly adjusted Lakewood traction bars. Spins like crazy and does nice burnouts with 155,000 miles on the clock.

Just wondering about the axle. I expect my Lightning to lay two tracks, it has a 3.73 12 bolt 9.75 posi rear. Didn't expect it with the Ranger.

Burnouts done with no brake use, just slamming the petal to the floor with the shifter in first gear from a standing start.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
If traction is roughly equal between both wheels it is possible to get both broken free.

I've done 11s with an open rear and some crappy tires. I have also done a 1 wheel peel with a Torsen LSD unit. Mine doesn't like to do the lock up thing in a straight line, but sure will hop the rear if I punch it in a turn.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I suspect the traction bars are having a lot to do with it. In a stock system the right wheel brakes loose because the right wheel is lifted from torque on the axle. Once the tire breaks loose all the power goes to that wheel, as is inherent in the design of the rear end [all the power goes to the wheel with least traction]. With the tight traction bars the axle won't move up nearly as much and both wheels will get an equal amount of power...until one gets more traction than the other.

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Thought the traction bars might be partially to blame. I know, before I put them on, many moons ago, it would hop really bad with a full throttle application from a standing start. Doesn't anymore.

By tight, I mean I have about one inch of gap between the bars and the spring. Have them set so the bar hits right behind the eye, not directly on it. This was debated on the Lightning forum I frequent, and it was said the best for slapper bars is for the snubber to hit the spring behind the eye, not the eye itself.

My Lightning has Johnny Lightning Performance long bars on it. They attach to the axle using the u-bolts that join the axle to the spring, and a hard mount on the frame 58 inches forward. Junior ladder bars? :icon_confused:

Last edited:

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
it was said the best for slapper bars is for the snubber to hit the spring behind the eye, not the eye itself.
I would disagree. Hitting the spring behind the eye sets up reverberations in the spring. All the energy of the engine should be used for forward motion, not making the spring move. A personal example; when I first used slapper bars over 30 years ago the stock length of the slapper hit about 10 inches behind the eye. I got wheel hop. I used some square tube and made the rubber bumper hit on the eye and problem solved. This is total anecdotal but it's what I believe with the knowledge I have.

rangerenthiusiast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I know this is cbxer’s thread, but if anyone is bored, could you enlighten me about the benefits & costs of traction bars? I’ve never gotten that deep into the suspension on any of my rides, which were all DDs. If not, it’s cool.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
2 pro's to traction bars, for leaf springs

(condensed version)

reduce wheel hop, increase traction

to reduce wheel hop they basically take the flex out of the spring.

for increasing traction, view them as levers. the bars are fixed to the axle and extend forward to the end of the spring. as the axle housing attempts to rotate up the end of the traction bars puts the force farther forward instead of just over the rear axle. that takes advantage of the center of mass, and the car "pushes back harder" against the traction bars, thus forcing the axle down which increases traction. this also helps wheel hop.

without traction bars, the axle pushes up on the front of the spring while simultaneously pulling down on the rear., you don't get as much leverage effect to push the axle down for more traction.

con's

solid steel bars snugged up against the car in race mode make for almost no suspension articulation. translation: it will ride like a 1937 Dodge truck.

Last edited:

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
^^^ I'll add to this. Traction bars are for straight line acceleration, think drag race. Not good for off road or road races.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
^^^ I'll add to this. Traction bars are for straight line acceleration, think drag race. Not good for off road or road races.

see his picture? :icon_rofl:

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
So there is a significant flex and ride quality penalty from a set of traction bars like James Duff offers for our trucks?

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
I was mostly speaking of drag racing. I'm not familiar with the JD bars.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I took a look. They mount on top of the axle and would definitely prevent wheel hop. With the bushings I would guess that they would be a lot better than a true slapper bar in offroad use and wouldn't act like a sway bar either. But I don't think they would help with weight transfer like slapper bars do in a straight line acceleration. But I have no real world experience with them.
I've seen mentioned using a chain in the same mounting points as a JD bar. That might give more flex while still preventing wheel hop...but again no real world experience.
In my race truck I made a single slapper bar that mounted on the dif and hits a crossmember. It works good. But it tuned itself after taking a few jumps...the gap is larger than what I set it at.

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I don't know about that. I'm posting a link to a guy who uses a Lightning for road courses. He uses long bars on his Lightning for this purpose.

https://web.archive.org/web/20160401000119/http://timskelton.com/lightning/race_prep/suspension/traction_bars.htm

Also posted are pics of my Lightning's rear suspension, which includes parallel QA-1 shocks, long bars (traction bars) and a panhard bar. And further forward a custom made tubular transmission cross member and a very firm drive shaft safety loop, both of which firmed up the frame readily.

Attachments

Last edited:

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I know this is cbxer’s thread, but if anyone is bored, could you enlighten me about the benefits & costs of traction bars? I’ve never gotten that deep into the suspension on any of my rides, which were all DDs. If not, it’s cool.
It's not my thread per se. I just started it. Anyone can participate. I've got no problems with that at all.

Traction bars, such as the Lakewood's I have on my Ranger definitely make the ride harsher. Since they clamp the leaf springs together, there is less "give" in them for bumps. Like it or hate it.

Even the long bars on my Lightning, take some getting used to. And they have urethane bushings at the front and rear mounts. Some out there, such as Stiffler's, use heim joints on the ends, so don't even have bushings.

Everything's a trade off. There are not a lot of curvy roads where I live, so road course handling is not an issue. Straight line is where it's at.

Basically I started the thread because I thought an OPEN differential wouldn't let both tires spin during a burnout. And both my rears spin quite nicely, being a 3.0 and all. And fairly large rear tires for that.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals