• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

The TwoNiners!

American1990

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989 1990 1992
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Build it, Break it, Re-build it stronger.
ahh, the 6.7 Liter Power-stroke (2011-2012) version. I didn't not mean the whole truck. Just the engine, I don't think you could get enough money out of just the engine to do all of that... but that besides the point.

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I know a 2.9 sucks because I have been trying to give a good one away for 8 years. If it were a 4.0, it would have been gone in a week.

When I think 2.9 I think #1 cracked head, #2 failed TFI leaves you stalled in dangerous traffic and #3 stuck throttle projects you out into dangerous traffic.

The only good thing about the 2.9 is that cool intake. If I had one in my truck now, I would chrome it and drive around with the hood off.

The 4.0 is tougher and much, much stronger in the grunt department. The 4.0 cammer has more power and a little more torque, but you need 4 elbows to work on it and most of it you can't work on because only aliens from Alpha Centari can time the camshafts. The pushrod 4.0 is the best Cologne engine, and best Ranger engine. If they had made a 5.0 Ranger like they did the Exploder, I might have to think about it for a while because the 4.0 is a 60-degree motor.

The 2.9 was so bad it took 2 engines to replace it--the 3.0 and 4.0.

American1990

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989 1990 1992
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
I have seen 2.3's and 2.8's do incredible things offroad too.
We are getting way off topic... I made this thread because I wanted to talk about the 2.9, all I have seen so far is everyone hates it. And wants to bash on it, so... I suppose there far fewer 2.9 supporters then I thought... :sad: Im just going to keep to myself for now on. So far all that happen is when some new guy comes on and starts a thread all the "upper guys" want to step all over it and talk down on it. If it not what YOU guys want to see you rag on it and say it a waste of time, but yet you still take the time to tell me it a waste of time...irony? maybe...

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
We are getting way off topic... I made this thread because I wanted to talk about the 2.9, all I have seen so far is everyone hates it. And wants to bash on it, so... I suppose there far fewer 2.9 supporters then I thought... :sad: Im just going to keep to myself for now on. So far all that happen is when some new guy comes on and starts a thread all the "upper guys" want to step all over it and talk down on it. If it not what YOU guys want to see you rag on it and say it a waste of time, but yet you still take the time to tell me it a waste of time...irony? maybe...
well we started with saying the 2.9 was good.. then the thread drifted off; as in usual fashion
i liked my 2.9; i never had problems out of it... i just did the swap b/c i had the explorer i need to strip.

all in all, you'll always find more of a 4.0 following than a 2.9, but... there are some out there. i know there are many people that have told me the 4.0 wouldn't be done since the 2.9 was working fine.

and trust me, it has nothing to do w/ you being new-ish... if anyone started this post, myself included... they'd bash it to. no worries :icon_cheers:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Never said it was a waste of time, just that it isn't really any more noteworthy than any other Ranger engine.

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
We've had these trucks, or been around them, for 20+ years, some of us. We're mostly messing with you, but there's truth there, too. I think you should hang around and read and see what's going on before you rent the Goodyear Blimp and paint your advertising on it. This is a good site full of good people, but they'll take you down a notch too when it's for your own good.

Just recently, I was invited to beat it and go find a Chevy-lover site to hang out at. And I've been on the staff for a decade!

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Just recently, I was invited to beat it and go find a Chevy-lover site to hang out at. And I've been on the staff for a decade!
What did the Chevy lovers do wrong? :icon_confused:

:icon_twisted:

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
That's what I was thinking. The Ford people deserve me more.

Gary101386

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
this is getting interesting...

:beer::icon_pepsi::icon_cheers:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
. The 4.0 cammer has more power and a little more torque, but you need 4 elbows to work on it and most of it you can't work on because only aliens from Alpha Centari can time the camshafts.
I can time the camshafts in a SOHC. Pretty sure I was born and bred here on Earth. Only gots two arm that I know of.

I do have all the special tools that Ford made for doing it though. :icon_idea:

I never said I hate the 2.9. I love the one in my Ranger. But it's like pizza. I love pizza, but one time I ate nothing but pizza for 4 months during the work week. At the end of that semester I said I never wanted to see another slice. But 7 years later I eat it whenever I get a chance.

My feelings towards the 2.9 are similar. I am almost 26. I've been driving the same truck on and off for almost a decade now except for 9 months when I was 21. That means I have been driving vehicles with these engines for as long as I've been driving and doing it almost constantly. I'm not ready to give up my comfy familiar old truck, but I would like to change the flavor a bit. Understand?

Gary101386

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It basically boils down to this. A guy with a small penis tries to justify his small penis (hopefully to convince the guys with the larger penis) that he is just as capable and can do it all. Sure they both pee, but the bigger guys don't need to lean forward.
but where the fun comes in is when the "smaller guys" can bang your wife and leave their mark on her, just as the big guys could... meaning go to the same offroad spot and go through / climb just as much as the "bigger guys" can.

Has anyone heard of the guys that get a big ass truck or a crazy fast car that theyre compensating? :icon_rofl:

Gary101386

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
its all about what you like and what you can afford. all the nut swingers of the 4.0 would get ragged on by any one else, because its not what they have / like. Personaly i could give two shits if someone i never met, that i dont know, that i probably will never meet or know likes my truck.

I am new to the truck scene, i used to have a Mustang, and even tho my GT was built up and could take some cobra's or at least give them a run for their money it was still the little bastard child of the biggest baddest model.

There was a saying, that holds alot of truth,

"I spend Money i dont have, to buy things i dont need, to impress people i dont know."

In the end, it is you behind the wheel of your truck, driving it how you drive it, doing the things that make you happy. Who cares if someone has nothing better to do than to rag on you for having fun or enjoying your truck...

American1990, Its one thing to buy the biggest best baddest model of something, but its an entirely different to take something and make it your own.

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Has anyone heard of the guys that get a big ass truck or a crazy fast car that theyre compensating? :icon_rofl:
But I have only heard that from people with smaller trucks or slower cars... :icon_twisted:

Do what you want, why you want to. This thread was setup to turn into a debate from the start and it did receive a healthy push by the OP in that direction when he started comparing it to other engines/vehicles.

By all rights a newer (can't say new anymore I guess) 4.0 should show me where to go, but when I drop the hammer, the old girl rears back, the V8 belts out her war cry and the view goes plaid... it is really hard not to smile. That is why my truck is the way it is, it is what I want. :icon_thumby:

American1990

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989 1990 1992
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Anyways... started my build today. :yahoo:Started taking everything apart and labeled. all I need now is a engine hoist....:dunno: my old one got "miss placed" by my brother. if there is anyone that would like to watch everything go down, ill make a separate thread to tell all the details; if not, ill keep on giving small updates on here.:icon_cheers:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals