• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Want some GOOD shocks, help

johnday

Reaction score
Barton City Michigan, under a rock or log. Where
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
When I die, I want to go where the dogs are.
Right now, I've got Monroe Sensatracs front/rear. IMO, they're junk. Noticed almost no difference after replacing the stock shocks with 100k + miles on them.
I also have my Tbars cranked, and an AAL, for 2" suspension lift total.
Looking for a reasonable priced shock that will actually help even out washboard roads, and Michigan pot holes and expansion joints. Tired of having the rear end skate sideways on these surfaces.
I've been considering Fox 2.0's, but am wondering if those would be overkill. The truck does see some very mild offroading on logging trails and two tracks, but nothing extreme at all. 90% pavement, 10% off.
The entire front steering gear has been replaced, and steering is great, nothing there needs to be addressed. Rear suspension is tight as well.
Truck is, '04 Edge supercab, RWD.:icon_confused:

truckfan

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Bilsteins are the most recommend shocks. Rancho shocks are good as well.

johnday

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
I wound up ordering ProComp ES9000s. 4Wheelparts said they didn't have Bilsteins for my application. OK. Thinking I should have gone elsewhere, and got the Fox. Something is telling me a $178 dollar set of shocks, just aren't going to work as well as a $520 set of Fox.
I was going to get the Ranger in the barn, and remove my existing shocks ahead of time, but I'm really thinking of just sending these back without even opening the box.:sad:

johnday

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Well, the ProComps I was sent, aren't the right ones for my truck. Looking up the model #, they're for a 2wd, but not an Edge model. I wound up putting them on, I busted off the top stud on the old shocks, and they're at full extension. Didn't have much choice at that pointe. Just said screw it, and sold them to my cousin who has a 2wd XLT.
Contacted SoCal Supertrucks, and talked about my problem. After they did some research, turns out I need 10th gen F150 shocks for the front.
Nice when a company listens and acts on what a customer is talking about, and has the ambition to do some leg work for you.

All I got from 4Wheelparts, was that Bilstein didn't have anything that would work with my 2" lift. ProComp was all they had, but didn't listen when I told them it was an Edge model, or didn't know the difference.
At any rate, the Fox shocks should be here in a couple days.

Last edited:

IBJAMMIN

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Well the Fox 2.0 ranger front shocks are to short for edge and sport models with T bar suspension since they basically have a 2in lift stock if you cranked the bars another 2in you have a 4in lift! I'm curious did you order f150 front shocks or the fox ranger front shocks? I just went though this there is a fix to make the fox shocks work? I wound up making 2in spacers out of some 1in aluminum bar stock I had in the shop and put them under the bottom mounts with some longer 5/16 bolts and put about a half inch of washers under the top cup washer to lower the top of the shock.... Here's a pic!

The limiting factor on shock length in the T bar suspension is the upper ball joint pull your shock and let the suspension sag it will stop when the upper ball joint binds for max travel on the shock jack it up about a 1/2 in and measure from the top of the lower a arm shock mount to the top shock mount make sure you keep the travel under this or add limit straps to avoid upper ball joint failure!

For the right shocks for a Edge or Sport 2wd models look at the 4wd shocks since the Edge and Sport models come from the factory with turned keys and lift blocks used in the 4wd models!

Attachments

Last edited:

IBJAMMIN

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Are the fox shocks worth the extra money? IMO yes I live on a dirt road with wash board and wash out ruts and drive about 60 miles on pavement to and from work and the overall ride and handling was greatly improved over the new cheap no name shocks that were on the truck when I bought it!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals