• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Radio Question

170Parker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
As I've said before my mechanical knowledge is limited, and everyone I've asked and everywhere I've looked for this has either no clue what to do, or gives me a different answer than the one before. Trying to replace the stereo in Dad's B2. its a 1989 XLT. The PO cut out the wiring harnesses, and I'm left with this. Assuming this bunch of wires is to the "premium sound" amplifier, but if so how do I hook up my speakers now. Is it just going to be easier to hard wire everything? This has been a b**** and I can't locate any speaker wires anywhere. I pulled the drivers side door speaker to see the wire colors and still no luck.

Attachments

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
That looks like cat5 cable, used for internet wiring in a house. Unfortunately I'm not knowledgeable about speaker wiring. Sorry.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah you might be better off wiring it all yourself. Thats what i do when POs mess with stuff. If you havent done wiring before well it will be good practice.

Thats what I would do anyway.

Sent from my LGL16C using Tapatalk

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Those cut wires are your speaker wires. There were two plugs on those old radios, one for power and other inputs, one for speakers.

I can't see the colors of the cut wires very well, but the other plug is the power plug, red is power, yellow is memory, blue is a remote wake up, orange is the dimmer, etc.

This makes the other plug the speakers. IIRC there was only one head unit, and so even with the premium sound system it ran the speaker signals to the amp individually. I don't have the book in front of me to verify that, but I'm pretty sure that's how they did it.

Mazda

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Does your Bronco II have the Eddie Bauer package?.

The factory amp is located behind the left rear quarter panel. If you don't want to use it you will need to install a bypass jumper. I would not use the old 89 amp. It will sound like crap, especially with today's "digital" media.

I would just get a new head unit and run all new speaker wires to each speaker. It is a little work to do this but well worth it.

Also look at buying your gear from Crutchfield.

http://www.crutchfield.com

Included with your head unit purchase will be around $50.00 in free installation gear that will make the install so much easier and lifetime customer phone support to help you out. I have been buying from them for more than 20 years. Never a problem.

Here is the wiring for your year.

Constant 12V+ Green/Yellow
Switched 12V+ Yellow/Black
Ground Black
Illumination Blue/Red
Dimmer n/a
Antenna Trigger n/a

Left Front (+) Orange/Green
Left Front (-) Black/White
Right Front (+) White/Green
Right Front (-) Black/White

Left Rear (+) Pink/Green
Left Rear (-) Pink/Blue
Right Rear (+) Pink/Blue
Right Rear (-) Green/Orange

You cannot just hook your new head unit to the speaker wires if the bypass plug is not in the amp. Since the op chopped the harness they might have already put the bypass plug in. You will have to get to the amp to make sure. The amp will not have the plug "pluged in".

Bryan

trail B2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
When I put in mine a friend separated out the speaker wires through color.In order to figure out which speaker wire went where we use a small battery to the speaker wires and that speaker crackled a little bit.We used a small watch battery not to hurt the speakers.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
75 87 96
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
351W , 2.9L , 4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I changed the radio in my 87 b2 last year , i think my premium sound amp was under a access panel on the top of the dash.
I needed to order a "floating ground adapter" from Crutchfield to get it working correctly with factory wiring.
Also the typical plug and play harnesses on the market did'nt match my wiring so i had to relocate wire in the plug and play harness.
If i remember correctly the floating ground adapter was only needed for the rear speakers.

Kayakcrazy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I just changed mine because the one the previous owner put in bit the dust. With all the cut wires and general mess left by the previous owner I just ran new speaker wires. I was relocating speakers anyway and just wanted a simple head unit that i could have a radio and sync with my phone. I straight wired to the power harness which in my case was already butchered.

enjr44

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 2X4; 08 FX4
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
When I put in mine a friend separated out the speaker wires through color.In order to figure out which speaker wire went where we use a small battery to the speaker wires and that speaker crackled a little bit.We used a small watch battery not to hurt the speakers.
You can do the same thing with your multi-meter set on ohms. Connecting and disconnecting will cause the crackle.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals