• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

fuel pump problem

5.8_97_ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
got a carbed 351w in the truck. fuel pump went out just before i bought it and the guy threw on a cheap mr gasket electric pump. it was mounted on the firewall behind the motor and it was connected to the factory 4cyl steel lines. i know electric pumps push fuel better than they pull, plus it wasnt in a safe location. so i dropped the tank and unhooked the hard line from the intank pump that runs to the factory fuel filter and hooked a rubber 5/16 fuel line and ran that straight to the carb. mounted the pump close to the tank on the driver side frame rail. got power runnin to it and can hear it runnin. but not pushin a fuel to the carb. i got it mounted in the right direction. it was pumpin before but it isnt now. i know i hooked it to the right line on the factory pump because i followed the line from the tank to the fuel filter on the frame rail. got a good ground. battery was dead in the truck but hooked a charger to it but still nothing.

anyone have any ideas of anything else i could check? im runnin out of ideas.

or should i just hook up a mechanical fuel pump? if i did this how would i go about it? not sure how it would work with the intank pump thats in there now. thanks for any help

gearhead1

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
How many PSI is the pump?

snowmonster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
the psi doesnt really matter on a carbed motor as long asw its like 5 to 7 psi it will wor i ran into about the same problem an it can be a conpasity issue. but also how far if it from the tank

gearhead1

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
i had i problem when i used a 5psi on a buddys truck. It was located back by the tank and by the time it got up to the carb there was only 1.5psi. so the truck would not run so we got a 10psi and we had 6psi at the carb never had a problem again. Dont know how or why *PFM*.

red85

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
306 ci
Transmission
Automatic
I've seem this one before. Have you checked the pickup in the tank? I had one do the exact same thing and the pickup was partially clogged with rust (metal tank). I'd suggest dropping the tank and investigating that. You may also want to check out the routing of that fuel line in front of the pump. A cheap pump can "lose it's prime". Put a loop in that line and it will keep some fuel ahead of the pump and the prime will be kept. Also make sure you actually have fuel in the tank (not trying to be an ass, but sometimes this happens too)

Good Luck
Phil

5.8_97_ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
the pump is mounted about a foot away from the tank. should be close enough since it was pullin before. the tank is also plastic or polypropelene or whatever its called so there shouldnt be any rust clogging it but could be some other stuff floating around in there.

im just about to say the hell with it and run a mechanical pump? anyone know how i would hook it up and will i run into any problems?

thanks for the help guys

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals