• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Quick question about B4000 front axle/transfer case joint

Toadclub

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
I finished replacing the clutch of my 1998 4x4 b4000 last night, and had to pack the bearings into the joint about a dozen times with the transfer case balanced on my knees and stomach so it was hard to tell details! Since the Haynes manual doesn't actually have any details regarding the connection or picture I had to puzzle it out. I want to double check before I engage it.

The connection on this truck (if they're not typical) is channels inside the transfer end coupling and the axle end has a spindle with channels, with six bearings in a loose race. The way I assembled it was pushing the bearings into the race just enough that they were trapped and the assembly could fit into the coupling, held in by moly grease, and then guiding the spindle into the assembly while lifting the transfer case up and onto the transmission. I had to do this a few times and at some point the axle rotated into the next alignment, ie offset by 60 degrees, but since the channels have a paired pattern this seems ok.The joint bolts tightened without trouble.

The bearing race in the connection is pushed back into the coupling, at an angle, does it need to be resting evenly between the coupling grooves and the spindle grooves? The channels looked symmetrical (well three sets,) is it super bad that they are offset by one pair?

Lastly, when I spin the axle by hand the joint travels through a pretty irregular rotation, it goes from mostly centered to offset nearly even with the side of the coupling, but I can turn it with two hands so it's not locked up. Is this meant to be a cambered joint?

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
are you talking about the constant velocity joint at the transfer case end of the front driveshaft? no wobbles allowed there. it is critical to clean and lube that CV joint, it will shake like heck if you get a dry ball.

Last edited:

Mickey Bitsko

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
live everyday like your gonna die tomorrow
Hope you don't have to replace it, costs an arm and part of your leg, just had to replace mine ...ouch

Toadclub

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, it must be the CV, it's opposite the u joint. I bedded the bearings in new grease and put a blob in front of each to work onto the spindles, without over packing it.

I'm not too worried about blowing it out, it's never engaged. I have to finish some side work before I can attack it again, and I'll build a proper harness for my jack so it's supported properly. Any ideas on assembling it more easily?

Toadclub

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
Mickey your advice cost me a little sleep but good thing, as I took the truck into a great trans shop, Stan's in Vancouver, and it was definitely assembled incorrectly.
The reason I had so much trouble is the outer casing didn't come off the transfer case when I dissasembled it, apparently it was very stuck. The shop pointed out that assembling this joint by trying to drive in the inner shaft into the bearings wouldnt work.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals